1997 Buick Lesabre Passenger-Side Fuse location, A/C fuses and horn fuse

140

Asked by Oct 26, 2011 at 06:13 AM about the 1997 Buick LeSabre

A friend recently acquired a 1997 Buick LeSabre, and until a few days ago, the air conditioner was blowing cold air.  The next day, it wasn't and, we being no experts, think it may be a blown fuse.  (We check the least expensive probabilities first.)

A second issue is the horn, which never worked from the start, and we suspect that to be a fuse as well.

I don't know the specific model of LeSabre, but it has a fully automatic climate control, power windows, automatic rear-view mirror, driver-adjustable outside mirrors, too.

There are two climate control panels described in the owner's manual, with the first having slider settings, the second having an LCD display and push-buttons.  We have the latter.

You can set the desired air temperature, and hit "auto" and it controls everything  to try to reach and maintain your set comfort level.  It senses the sun beating down on one side of the car and compensates with more cooling on that side.  it senses outside temperature, which shows up in the LCD display screen, together with current settings.

It is a four-door hardtop model.

The manual is in his car, not here for me to reference precisely, so I will do my best from recollection.

Turning to page 6-59, the book is describing the in-cabin fuse locations.  There are two, one on the driver's side, under the instrument panel, left of the steering column, photo included for easy identification, and a list of the fuses found there.

The second fuse block is on the passenger side, under the instrument panel, under, on, or around a relay-something, and a list of its fuses is included in the book.

The right end of the instrument panel is from top to bottom, the radio, the climate control panel, an ashtray.  That is over the right side of the drivetrain hump.  Just right of the instrument panel display is the passenger airbag, and below that, the glove compartment.

Open the glove compartment, there is an oil reset button or switch, and a trunk release button.

The underside of the instrument panel is a bunch of covers with floor vent duct openings, no sign of fuses or relays there, versus over on the driver's side, on the underside left of the steering column is the pictured fuse cover.  Looking forward and level, at this fuse block, there are red and blue items peeking out at you.

Over on the passenger side, there is, under the glove box, a rectangle that has some bolt heads on a black wavy surface looking out at the passenger's knees.  There was once a nameplate there, most likely, a piece of trim that has long since disappeared.

I wouldn't think we need to pull down the ductwork covers to see anything relating to fuses, but I am no expert.  I do know they can be a bit of a pain to put back in after they are removed.

Open the ashtray, and find the cigar lighter to its right.  Poking around behind the removed ashtray has me encountering wires, probably for the lighter, together with its inline fuse holder.

Poking around under the ashtray, I find a round hole in the hard plastic, this side of the soft-plastic, loose-fitting ductwork covers that occupy the remainder of the instrument panel, forward to the firewall.

There I encounter a couple of long bolts coming from the firewall, about level with the loose-fitting covers.  I push the covers up and see the bolts.

In this passenger-side fuse block that we can't locate, is the fuse for the horns and the fuse for the A/C Programmer.

Now, since there is power to the display, and the display shows the current outdoor temp, indoor temp setting and other settings, everything about the display is working, this fuse is maybe good, and a fuse under the hood is out to cause the A/C to fail to run.

Very likely we need to find this passenger fuse block to replace the potentially blown horn fuse and check the possibly good A/C fuse, but need  to locate the engine fuses to reinstate the A/C.

I hope I have given  enough of the right details to help the party that proposes to answer my questions.  Thank you.

140

A mechanic showed that the "passenger side fuses" are under the hood. There ARE no passenger-side fuses inside the car. As for the air conditioner failing, a new compressor was needed, my friend had the mechanic put in a rebuilt compressor and he recharged the system. Now there is no heat in the wintertime in this car, and for $50 bucks the mechanic can switch a damper one way under the dash, then for cooling, for another $50 he can switch the damper the other way. Forget the heat and save $100. Did not find the cause of the horn not working. Nothing wrong with the fuse.

80

OH WOW.. I hope you did not pay 50 bucks for something like that. Are you sure He even replaced the compressor? I have a 1995 lesabre limited, but I would guess its the same problem. Every season....I have to open my glove box, there are 2 rubber tabs at the top in the back of the box that stop the glove box from moving forward anymore than fully open, bend those a little bit to the side just to get the box to open more. Now. Behind the glove box, up inside of that area a bit there should be a lever. It might be a little bit jammed, move it one way for heat. The other for cold. 50 bucks? I can change it while I am driving I have done it so many times. Not that I should....but I have really long reach and like I said. I have done it plenty of times. Its a pain, but only when the seasons are changing. hope that helps. Would guess its your blend door actuator. I believe that is what its called. I just replaced mine, and the digital controller, and still no luck so I am hunting for more possible issues. But I have heat and ac when I need without paying some crazy mechanic 50 bucks each time. Its maybe a 30 second job when you know what you are doing. Any half way decent mechanic would have quoted you on fixing it, and shown you how to do that, because even they should know the price is not really worth it to have them fix it. I would suggest finding a new mechanic.

80

As for the fuses. I am not sure about your model year, but I have fuses and relays on the drivers side, passenger side, and under the hood in the maxi fuse relay center. 3 separate places. The passenger side is a little more hidden. take a look if you pull that glove box forward past the rubber tabs. Hope the layout is somewhat similar and this is remotely helpful. I can see passenger side relays and fuses when I pull the glove box forward they are to the right and down. There is also a plastic guard under the glove box by passenger foot space with three screws. The guard is rather large, extends barely to driver side. you can get to them from there. Hope this helps?

70

there are two inside fuse blocks on 1997 buick lesabre. One on driver's side under dash left of the steering coloum and one on passenger side. I had two drop the glove compertment to get to the passenger side fuse block. there are a/c and horn fuses in it.

140

Thank you for the information -- Dropping the glove compartment is a lot of work just to change a fuse! My friend traded this car in for a smaller car, and is very happy with it. The 1997 Buick LeSabre information presented in this thread may be of help to others. Thank you.

90

The Passenger Side Fuse Box is on the right side under the long black piece of plastic the manual refers to as the "Sound Barrier"the screws securing it run from under the ashtray back to the passenger door once that piece of plastic drops to the floor board if you lay on your stomach and look under the glove box it the corner, back towards the firewall you should see the fuse box in vertical rows of fuses which the manual mentions which fuses go to which. Hope that helps