I have a water leak in my 2004 Rendezvous that is back by the firewall and I can't find it. I see the steam, hear the sizzling and see the water on the ground on the drivers side. It just started.

Barbie Barnes

Asked by Oct 05, 2015 at 10:37 PM about the 2004 Buick Rendezvous

Steam rising from the drivers side, back by the firewall. Pretty significant leak.
Got it home and cooled down within 5 min but the radiator was already
empty. What is the water line that carries the most water with the highest

Most likely a heater hose has sprung a leak. If your cooling system rubber hoses are original, replace them. All. You can tell by the date stamped on the rubber hoses. If one has failed, the others are soon to follow. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
Barbie Barnes

Yes sir. Lower heater hose. Not the rubber part, but the plastic quick connect where it enters back into the motor. Thank you for your time, it's going to save me hundreds. Bought the preformed heater hose with the quick connect for $34 and going with distilled water & a bottle of Lucas Super Cool @ $20. Can you give me some direction on what needs to be removed to get to the firewall connector to replace it? And more importantly, what NOT to remove, what to stay away from? Thanks again for your time sir.

You're welcome. Glad to help. You may find it easier to jack up the vehicle and work from the bottom. You'll need to squeeze the tabs on the quick disconnect fittings to remove them. A pair of pliers or needle nosed vice grips may be helpful with that. Of course you'll have to drain the cooling system. If you don't have a petcock on the radiator just remove the lower radiator hose. There may still be a little coolant in the heater core so expect some to come out when you remove the hoses. It's pretty straightforward. Remove the disconnects and the hoses then install the new ones. Once you refill the cooling system you may need to bleed any air out of the cooling system. If so there will be a bleeder valve probably near the thermostat housing (where the upper radiator hose clamps onto the engine). If your coolant isn't dirty you can reuse it. HTH. -Jim

Barbie Barnes

Great thanks. Think I'd better get the clamp pliers first. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

Barbie Barnes

Jim... help again. Yesterday while the same car was at idle in my driveway it blew another water hose. Drivers side down low and away from the firewall. All water left the motor fast. Steam and no hot air coming from the heater. Never got hot. I cant see it from the top. No water inside the cab.

Oops, I reread your post and realized you said driver's side! That's going to be the other heater hose. There's 2 back there. HTH. -Jim