given a 1995 ford ranger that needs a new engine, due to lack of maintenace, no oil. buy new engine or re-built engine? what other parts may need to be replaced or repaired.

Asked by Oct 08, 2015 at 11:46 PM about the 1995 Ford F-150

Damsel in need of a professionals opinion. I've been without a vehicle for 2 months and folks are cranky when I need to get around, shopping for large items. The bus won't do for most of my needs and renting a vehicle has gotten to be expensive. Really don't want to have a car payment.

22,405

what engine is in the truck ?? not enough info... what is wrong withe the engine ?rod/crank/cam/bearings? you can buy a short block or a long block or rebuild thats wrong with what you have..... who looked at / checked it out...tell us more and then some more.

64,885

Does it run? If so how well or how badly? Does it smoke out the tailpipe? If it won't turn over or it runs poorly and smokes then yes, I'd replace the engine with a good used one from the salvage yard. Be sure you can hear it run before you buy it. Try and get some kind of guarantee with it too. 30 days is good. Unfortunately you can't go newer on the engine because 1996 and forward is OBD II. Your truck is the last year for OBD I. It's a completely different computer system. Check the 8th character of your vehicle identification number (VIN) and the 8th character of the doner vehicle's (VIN). Be sure they match. The 8th character is the engine code. Lower mileage is best so shop around. You can use carpart.com to search salvage yards nationwide for a good used engine. Sort by distance from your zip code so you can go hear the engine before you buy it. Plan on a tune up a oil change so you'll have fresh oil and ignition system parts on your new engine from the gate. HTH. -Jim

Re-built is every bit as good as new. Avoid used engines... it seems every used engine has 30k miles in it according to the junkyards. Or get a warranty if you go with used. It's probably a 3.0 or 4.0. As for what else... we have no way of knowing that. Battery for sure. Tires maybe, inspect them and if the are more that 10 years old ( some guys say 6 years but I have run tires for 10 years before the literally fell apart) especially if it has been sitting in the sun. And Kelly has a good point, the more you tell us, the better we can help and no limit, no making a 'short story, lay it out for us.

Oops, Jim I missed that completely. My bad. cycnthia he is spot-on. I type slow

64,885

Lol Fordnut, that's ok. I agree with you that rebuilt or new is better than used any day. I just was figuring that the poster has limited funds. With used you definitely have to be careful. But good used engines and trannys too are out there. HTH -Jim

8,460

Option 2 .. If the body is in good shape then (IMO) used trucks command a higher price then cars of the same year. There's always a young mechanically oriented dude who would snag a truck that needs repair in a Heartbeat .. sell it and buy a car that may fit your needs

25

Not worth it get another truck to old