1985 f 250 302 efi, runs until it warms up then dies its not overheating, runs rough and idle surges

Asked by May 31, 2009 at 12:27 PM about the 1985 Ford F-250

the truck starts fine when the motor is cold but when it warms up to normal operating temp it dies and wont start until it cools down but its not overheating and when i drive it it runs a little rough and sometimes it idle surges when at a stop light its got new cad. converter, fuel filter, water pump, plugs, wires, cap and rotor,and new fuel tank

25

since you are running an efi engine, I would start by cheking, that the choke, works. I cant recall what the thingy is called, but i works in the same way, as en automatic choke, on a carburated engine. It has a bad tendency, to mallfunction, when you tinker with the engine (I had to replace mine twice, on my T-bird, cause I didn`t know!) also chek for false air, in the intake. buy a can of startgas, and start the engine, spray the gas on all conections on the air intake, if the rpm rises, you have a leak somewhere that draws fasle air into the engine, giving it faulty readings, and messing up the cars brain. also remember that the brain on your car is, a very fragile POS, ane there is nothing, that it wants more, than to give up on you! (guess where I know that from!) Ill se if i cant find some more infor for you, keep us postet

85

change the throttle postion sensor and your problem will be fixed