Locating and replacing 1972 F250 w/ 390 fuel filter

Asked by Nov 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM about the 1972 Ford F-250

I have a 1972 F250 with a 390. Ran out of gas, put gas in the tank but wont start up.
Fairly certain its a dirty fuel filter, any idea of where its located and how to change it?
Any thoughts if its a different problem?

Depending on what has been modified, the fuel filter could be located on the bottom of the fuel pump inside a small canister, the other style would have the fuel filter screwed into the carb at the fuel inlet, also someone could have added another one somewhere down the fuel line any where from the tank to the fuel fump, these older Fords had a small fuel strainer inside the fuel tank that could get plugged up. Hope this helped.

@tennisshoes, thats great help, much appreciated. I found the canister, there is also one near the air filer/carb. Im really hoping changing the one at the fuel pump will solve the problem, hate to have to get into the gas tank. Unless there is a easy way to clean the strainer? Im attaching photo of what I found, do I have to remove the complete pump to change the filter? Does the canister just screw off? Thanks again

I don't think 'shoes will mind if I continue. Yes the canister unscrews but it's not like an oil filter, you re use the canister and put an new filter element in it. No, you don't have to remove pump.

No problem David, just hope that the strainer is still clear so you don't have to go there.