my car just died wont run

Asked by Nov 23, 2010 at 09:51 AM about the 1987 Chevrolet Cavalier

I own the 87 convertible 2.8 liter with 56,000 original miles, we have never had any problems till this summer and it just died. The car would start but when I step on the gas it dies, I have had it at my mechanics for 6 months he has replaced every part that can be replaced. This car is only driven in the summer its never seen snow. Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't want to sell it but don't no what to do

85

it sounds like to me, that the choke isnt opening up like its supposed to. Take the breather off, crank the car, then manually move the throttle on the side of the carb. The choke should open, if it does that is good. now do everything again, but this time, wait for the engine to warm up, then manually move the throttle. and see if it dies. if it doesnt, then take a look at your air filter, it may be dirty. if the choke doesnt open at all, then you are having a problem with that. check all vacuum lines running to the carb. please let me know if any of this helps.

if it has sit for a while,old gas will be like varnish in gas tank,it may need to be pulled out and cleaned,install a new fuel pump also,sounds like it is stoped up.

the car will start then you step on the gas and it dies, unfortunately I don't no the name of all the parts that have been replaced. The fuel pump and filter some modules umm some pack thing, I wish I knew the name of everything but I know its like $600 of parts. I am gonna get a list this week cause now its going to the Chevy garage so maybe they can figure it out. God damn it makes me mad cause I love this car and 56,000 shouldn't be anything wrong I take very good care of it. I can't drive it anymore this year anyways gotta put her away before snow flys

coilpak,still say the gas tank is the problem,when you store a car for the winter you should put a bottle of stabi fule in the gas tank,keeps the gas from going bad.

105

I had the same problem with my 93. I changed. The coil packs, ignition module, fuel pump, pump relay, filter, injectors, plugs and wires and still had the same prooblem. I changed the throttle position sensor last and that was what fixed it. I don't remember if the 87 is fi or carb, but if it is fi, see if they changed the tps. That may very well be the problem.

I have a 1987 z24 2.8 and having the same problem, I was told that a TCC Transmission Control solenoid is bad. Order one and will have it replaced. I am getting ready to change the throttle position sensor in the next day or so. But the car will stall and acts like its in gear, like a standard, but not.