How many pounds should my electric fuel pump be reading for my chevy caprice 396 ingine?

10

Asked by Apr 14, 2015 at 08:29 PM about the 1968 Chevrolet Caprice

I switch from a stock pump to an elecrtic

105,475

4 to 6 is the most common setting, but a good flow rate is also very important, usually 16 ounces in 30 seconds for a standard fuel pump.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Mine is a holly and is sopposed to be up to 7-9 lbs , my gauge hits about 3and a half pound. When I step on the gas on take off is stutterers quite a bit then picks upspeed. Timing hass been down, carb has been done, plugs been done! What do uou recommend?

10

Have a edle brock 750

70,275

Have you adjusted the air to it?

70,275

To much air will make it sort of flood on take off.

10

Ive tried, I nottice that as I started. The pump was at 6lbs and 15 minutes later, it's at 4lbs

70,275

Some of these carbs, require 6 to 8 pound,s to operate correctly,may need a high out put fuel pump.

105,475

It does sound like your pump is not enough for your carb, check the accelerator pump, it should give a shot of fuel with every movement that the throttle lever makes towards the open position, if it don't then you can get a pop back through the carb, and that leads us to power valves are a big problem on a Holley, find out if the good anti blow out ones were used when it was go through, they can cause a stumble right at tip in of the throttle. Then comes engine base timing, try advancing it 2 degrees and see if that helps also. Make sure you vacuum advance unit is operational.

10

Thanks everyone !Il check that out tomorrow! This car is driving me nuts!

28,065

7lbs really esp.a bb.

10

Thanks kelly, what pump do you recomend? Have a 396 motor with a 425 cam

105,475

Geez Kelly, now much nitrous are you feeding that thing?

10

I have a 350 engine put it on time im having a problen the car does not want to turn on it did at first then it wouldnt after that there is gas and spark . The carburetor is throwing up with explosions I reset the timing to 2 degress rechecked the fireing order but it still doent turn on. Please help

28,065

its running lean, , ......adjust the accelerator pump arm/s

10

Not idling wont stay on, gas is shooting good, when fired up it stood on but sounded ruff, after that hasnt fired up since, did adjustments to the carb already but nothing, engine was sitting for a couple of yrs so new plugs wires, plugs and oil , gas filter

28,065

try to advance the dist.vac advance side forward 1/4 inch..will it start now.let me know..

28,065

tennis shoes 600 nos 300 first 600 2nd 3rd

28,065

victorhernandez01 i run the mallory pro comp....

10

No nos, been moving the dis.back and fourth,and nothing.do u think maybe the timing chain no good?

28,065

if its the chain it will be really retarded thats why i said to advance it... also take of the cap look at the rotor and turn the engine lower pulley about an inch left the right...if the rotor seem`s to keep up wit it its ok.

28,065

advance the timing until the starter labors to turn it over .

10

Thanks I haven't tried that yet.

28,065

run you fuel press. at 6 lb and 7 max..unless you have special needles /seats/floats..and set the floats running to trickling out when you rock the front end.when you get it going

10

Thanks