won't starts when hot

Asked by Aug 08, 2009 at 09:40 PM about the 1990 Toyota Pickup

I have a 1990 Toyota pick-up.  When the motor is hot and I shut the truck off, it will not start until the motor cools down.  I replaced the battery and battery wire and clamps.  (I know this isn’t part of the problem but,)  I did a tune replacing everything; plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, etc.  All I can think left to replace is the starter.  (The truck will start if I get a jump start when it’s hot)  I don’t want to continue the hit and miss process.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Thanks for the help.
sfcjohnwren@aol.com

505

Heres the thing. How hot is it? When a motor gets "hot" the metal expands. When this happens, it causes a large amount of friction. Once it cools down,The parts contract(srink) his is why it will start when cool.You need to find the cause of the over heating. Low coolent level Bad thermostat Bad water pump Bad raidator Blockage in the system All the tune ups in the world wont help. aaaand if occures to much, The motor will eventually die

250

My 1991 toyota pick up does the same thing. Only in the summer. I have been told a million different things could be the problem. Have you found any solutions?

55

had a 87 2wheel drive that done same thing,eventually figured out it was starter sticking when motor got hot.

100

same problem 1990 pickup sr5 replaced almost everything.. the issue happens mostly when it hot. the engine just clicks and doesn't turn over. Add a little power and it start every time. from what i read now it could be a starter relay or the ignition switch... did you solve your problem?

60

the wire on your starter is loose or dirty, not the hot wire but the one that clips in . My 91 toy truck did it 4 ever , Just click,click click then start every so oftern. i climbed under and found the wire would vibrate loose and fixed it permanently..never had that problem again.

it is the starter motor if it clicks. touch the battery cables with the back of your hand after trying to wind it over. if its boiling hot you need a new starter

10

got 93 pickup won't start when hot but only like in traffic with ac on then i shut off try and start 1 click nothing , if i let it cool or jump it starts but again this is only on very hot days