engine problems

Asked by Jan 06, 2016 at 04:20 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Okay guys I have a 91 Chevy 1500 4x4, 350 5.7L,
truck was running fine yesterday, went to start it
up to day and as soon as it cranks up it chokes
really bad and cuts back up, tried pumping the gas
too but it didn't help, I've already changed the fuel
filter, fuel pump, fuel relay, and the fuel pressure
regulator, jus tried to crank it back up to see the
results but nothing has changed, still chokes up
and cuts off in a matter of seconds. What else
could it be?

Meant it cuts back off not cuts back up

Did you try the watch idle sensor

71,405

So it will fire off? If so I'm thinking a vacuum leak. I would check the TBI base gasket, and snug up the intake manifold. The Idle Air Control Sensor is a source of a major vacuum. Be a good idea to pull that out, and have it checked at Auto Zone, Also the port that it plugs into would need to be cleaned out good. Best take the TBI off and give it a good cleaning. This is not to say that the injectors may be dirty or bad. They should be spraying a nice cone pattern of fuel with no droplets of fuel.

Yeah it fires up but then chokes up really bad and cuts off, I was searching and found that it could be the ignition coil or ignition control module, but im not sure

71,405

Try disconnecting the single brown with black stripe I believe by the heater unit up on the fire wall, this is for advancing the timing and see how it acts. This would relate to the coil pick-up in the distributor.

71,405

The ignition control module in the distributor can be taken out and tested at Auto Zone along with the coil. The magnetic coil pick-up has 2 wires running to it. Pull on them slightly to see if one of them broke off also.

Possibly stuck open egr.Pull off vacuum hose and plug it after the EGR and see what happens.