type of transmission fluid

50

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 04:18 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet C/K 1500

25,565

The most universal and acceptable modern ATF for your vehicle is Mercon-V (Mercon 5)

50

Thank You for your speedy answer.

3,075

Umm no gm car takes mercon v, that is a ford trans fluid, gm vehicles take dexron/mercon III, starting 2005ish, gm patents ran out on the III so they came out with an updated fluid dexron VI which they suggest you switch to, so you can use the III or the VI, mercon V is only for a few certain ford cars.

25,565

I beg to differ but the key word I used was "Universal" and no, it isn't designed for just certain fords. I happen to have read the label on the 55 gallon drums we use to service out fleet of over 1700 cars and light trucks.

3,075

Yes their are plenty of universal trans fluids and some say they work for mercon V and dex/mercon III, gm doesn't support the use of those universal fluids. Find me a universal fluid that will work for DEXRON VI which is what GM recommends in most of their cars, old and new. Different types of trans fluids are different viscosity just like engine oil, so using universal trans fluids can be just like using the wrong weight of engine oil in your car. It may "work" but certainly is not the best option. Next, MERCON V was developed BY FORD FOR FORD. A pic of the back of a MOTORCRAFT (FORD BRAND) bottle of mercon V is provided below for proof. Also, GM has a TSB out that suggest nothing but DEXRON VI be used in any car requiring dexIII or dex VI. The TSB even suggest NOT to use the DEX III anymore for any vehicle. Therefore universal fluids that say they work for dex III is NOT suggested by GM. This is because the patents expired on dexIII meaning there is no regulation anymore on its makeup and companies are not required to add the same friction modifiers to it anymore because there is no patents on it. I work at GM dealer so I service millions of cars, not just 1700. In a nutshell, a lot of things will "work" but I would rather use what is "recommended"

190

What kind of transmission fluid goes in a 1990 chev 1500 5 speed? please anyone that knows let me no!! lol thanks so much

I will take a Chevrolet/GM dealerships mechanics answer for any topic! Any day of the year! Over some General service mechanic every time especially one that says he read the label on a 55 gallon drum, so this is why he's right!! Wow dude never argue with that specific type of vehicle makes mechanic again over any topic of that vehicle make please. Especially when your back up to your answer is that you read the label makes you look ignorant and dumb especially when you don't stop. Thats why cars are always best to take to dealership for service then some regular mechanic shop especially when it's a new vehicle. Just not worth it on what they might screw up or put the wrong weight of oil something so easy as that! It happens all the time I'm sure! Ya dealerships are more expensive, but for an investment such as a new vehicle or even an older vehicle its hands down the best to take to the professionals and experts for the vehicles manufacture. Unless you know what your doing yourself then do at home. That is the best answer, but like most don't know how or just to lazy to do it then take to dealership you won't regret it i the end just to save 10-15%

I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my old GM and my new Volvo. My GM has 325,000 and no slipping. It's compatible with most vehicles. I've included a pic of vehicles and types of fluids that mobile 1 synthetic covers.

please advise on where and how to chose a new 1995 chev v6 single cab transmission for my truck