Under load or heavy acceleration the engine boggs down RPMs are restricted if I keep on the accelerator the engine will backfire I initially ingnition electrical and tested and replaced the ingniter due to a bad read on the D terminal to ground. The problem still exists, I then suspected the Converter blocked

Asked by Jan 18, 2007 at 10:29 AM about the 1987 Honda Prelude

Inspecting the converter I removed found partially blocked cleared blockage temporarily to see of the solved the problem not improved possibly worse. While testing the electrical components I also had a questionable read on the reluctor at resistance test from the BLU2 lead to the green wire registered 650 ohms instead of 750 ohms.Where should I look next? I plan on verifying the timing and the function of the vac advance/retard mechanism then possibly the fuel system pressure. Any suggestions would be helpful.

18,485

Hello, Hmm...sounds like you have exhausted most available options! Might be time to take it to a mechanic to see if they can diagnose what might be the root cause. I know going to the mechanic is no fun, but any further work you may make the problem worse rather than better. Best of luck! CarGrrl

45

What I would check would be your spark plug wires. They will cause a car to backfire under a load when they are going bad.