Can't put fuel in without the pump stopping over and over

30

Asked by Dec 03, 2015 at 06:33 PM about the 2007 Honda Pilot

My Honda Pilot ran out of gas one day and ever since then, when I try and put gas in, the pump keeps stopping as if the tank is full. I have to stand there and keep gripping the fuel pump, over and over. Is this some kind of vapor lock.?

120,865

Yes you have a vapor lock, your fill vent is blocked. It could be debris, I have even see bugs get in the vent and block it...

30

Great, thank you. Where do I find the fill vent?

46,665

The reason it keeps shutting off is because you have a damaged EVAP system. Continually over filling your gas tank will cause EVAP damage. Once the gas nozzle clicks off, you should never keep filling your tank. In doing so, you can force fuel into your charcoal canister. EVAP system faults are a leading cause of CEL’s (Check Engine Lights) to come on, i.e. Low Purge Flow (Code P0497). Out of all of the EVAP system faults, LEAKS are the most common cause of problems. When filling up at the gas pump, many people can’t resist squeezing an extra .50 or .75 cents after the pump initially shuts off. Little do they know that overfilling the fuel tank could cost them a lot of time and trouble in the long run. When putting too much gas in the tank, fuel can end up where it shouldn’t be… in the charcoal canister. Inside the charcoal canister, there are tiny pellets of charcoal. The normal function of the EVAP charcoal canister is to temporarily store gasoline FUMES (not liquid gasoline) that evaporate within the fuel supply system (mainly from the fuel tank). When car owners overfill the fuel tank, the EVAP charcoal canister can be saturated with raw fuel instead of just fumes as it was designed. The liquid fuel can float the pellets of charcoal out of the canister and into the EVAP hoses. If pellets enter solenoids or orifices, they can be plugged and restrict the proper flow of vapors within the system. The fuel tank needs to breathe. Anything causing a restriction will prevent it from breathing properly reducing efficiency and sometimes causing early shutoff at the gas pump during fill-up.

120,865

Reelin great anwser but when the evap canister has been over filled the number of times the code normally shows up he didn't indicate that there was a code, so my thinking would be a clogged vent...

30

Thank you, but I am putting in $0.20 at a time before the pump kicks off as if the tank is fill, but it really is 90% empty.

120,865

Stop by an auto zone or advanced auto or an auto store that will read your codes for free and see if any codes come up. If not the vent in under car, it is located near the vapor canister.

Best Answer Mark helpful
46,665

I hear ya. Some people have driven their car for so long with the CEL on, that they are unable to notice when there is a problem because it's always on. Not saying the mooch is one of them, but you'd be surprised at how many people do that.

120,865

I hear you Reelin, does make sense...

Those guys are right. When the CEL lights up and the open the hood, they think .. 'yup, the engine is still there"... click for fullscreen

Not to mention that if you habitually run your gas to 10% your fuel pump is not submerged. The gas is the coolant. Eventually the pump will overheat and burn up, never hot enough to be a danger of fire but hard on pump

10

I have the same issue with my brand new 2017 pilot. I requested Honda dealer who sold me this vehicle to fix this problem. They said it may take weeks or months to fix it since it has to go back to the factory. But they are not offering me a loaner vehicle during the period of repair. I was also smelling gas when I get into my vehicle in the morning when I go out for work. I was wondering if the tank holding the gas properly either. I have no idea how EPA approved these stupid designs. It is disgusting. And I am helpless.