I have a 1983 Crown Victoria LTD And it has a problem with miss firing, back firing, and stalling out. I can't figure out what is causing it

20

Asked by Feb 06, 2010 at 02:38 PM about the 1983 Ford Crown Victoria

When it is in drive it miss fires during acceleration then back fires near the gas peddle and finally stalls out then it has trouble starting back up.

is your car a 5.0 or a 4.2, carb or injected?

20

5.0 302 V8 fuel injected

oh good the better engine. you might need a high mileage tuneup. your injectors (2 or 8 im not sure which system you have) might be bad. it sounds like your injecter are leaking. check them out and do a compretion test to make sure its not bad valves.

20

It passed the compression test and fuel pressure test. I put a new fuel pump, filter, cpu, ignition mod, and check the gas level, and changed a coil tower, starter, and battery in the last 30 days it still shows the same problem and it gets worse when it is hot.

20

The car is an 8cyl ingine

is the injecters the original from day one of the car? it might be the injecters and a sensor because you pretty much checked and changed everything else.

20

I changed a sensor that i fried from testing. Now that works again.So everything on it I assume is original if I didn't replace it.

it sounds like theres over 100,000 on the injectors. they might be due. if they are pissin but not sprayin it could put more gas in when you dont need it (im thinkin obseen on this). if you car is tbi then take the top of the aircleaner off and have a buddy of yours turn it over as you look at the spray pattern, but if your car is multi port then get a new set because theres no safe way to check them at home other then at a shop.

(im not thinkin obseen on this) correction to my last post

20

Oh I think the injector is duel cause there is no spray pattern. You cant see any thing over head. It just runs till you put it in gear and it idles itself down then sputters out. The air filter and manifold has been off for about 3 weeks thats how we tested the fuel pressure the first time. Someone told me to check the timing chain too. I havent done that yet.

20

Just so you know its in a shop but we are having trouble finding the problem anyway.

that could do it to. it might be a good idea to change the injectors and the chain. if you change the chain get a double roller chain. it may cost a little more but its way better then stock. by the way i wasnt trying to be obseen on my last post. i mist a word.

20

We are out sourcing now. No worries its still my car. Not a customers.

20

Its cool obseen is what we have come down to. Think outside the box just outragous just uncommon methods.

manually turn the crank or bump the engine until the key on the crank is at 12 o'clock then take #1 plug out and it oppisate plug out. one of them should be at tdc. if neither is then your chain jumped.

20

Thanks thats what someone else said. but if it isnt the belt it would be the injector.

20

Right?

yep if its not one then the other of the two.

by the way what state are you in ? im in illinois.

20

Tampa Florida

20

This wouldve been easier if we had a 26 year old computer to teat the system and get codes to isolate the problem.

damn! you got the old school crap still? most shops went to handhelds. im glad you didnt pitch it.

ooops! sorry read it wrong.

im going to let you go because it 9:08 pm overhere. let me know how things go sunday. see ya.

20

We tried the test you recommended it was not the problem. we are doing a Valve Test now. Then the Timing Chain

20

We put the timing chain in and now we still have a back firing problem

check the egr, aircleaner, and your vacuum. it might be one of those.

20

ERG? Whats that?

20

I need front end. It looks like this. but I can't figure out the part label to order one

egr not erg. Exhaust Gas Resirculation valve, you know the thing that looks like a tiny ufo with a vacuum line on it, usually bolted to the intake with a pipe going to the exhaust manifold.

25

i had to check for leaks in the vacum hose.and get a new throttle motor.fuel filter

sounds like your timeing chain and gears are gone,jumped time,pull num 1 spark plug,bump motor until the piston is up on compression stroke,remove dis cap,see if rotor button is pointing to num 1 plug,if not replace the chain and gears,both gears have a dot on them make sure they are pointed toward each other,in case ,num 1 plug is the first plug on right looking at motor.

140

Just a suggestion but if plugs misfire they are not gapped right which will cause backfire. Fuel problem only if you replaced or adjusted air flow to the injectors. Giving the injectors a cleaning will help as well as replacing misfired plug or plug wires. sometimes cleaning points if distributor is present or repositioning the distributor helps. Coil replaced and still a problem coil could be faulty if it is remanufactured. Open the area by the timing chain make sure it is dust free prior. if chain looks well greased and on the gears then it is not the problem. If it is laying off the gear and not showing in the triangle then it has jumped. Buying another one may not fix this however download the owner's manual for this year of car and troubleshoot everything before writing vehicle off to the scrap pile. Hope this helps. Check online for other problems relative to this.

140

Forgot to add fuel filter and PCV valve.

ch check pick up coil in distributor in fact put a new distributor its cheaper walt