I have a 1977 ford bronco that is grounding out somewhere

Asked by Apr 12, 2015 at 12:07 PM about the 1977 Ford Bronco

I have checked the starter and all the grounds checked the solinoid also checked the distributor and am now stumped

This system is fairly simple, you have a hot lead from the battery to the starter relay, through the relay when closed to the starter motor, the battery ground goes to the engine block with an auxiliary lead going to the body, there should also be an ground strap going from the engine to the body, usually towards the rear of the engine, then under the rig you should find at least one ground strap from the body to the frame. That should cover the main power and ground supply. What seems to be the exact problem?

When I turn the key all it does is click. The wires to the distributor get hot as well so it makes me think that there is a short somewhere

Was it retro-ed back to points or is it still stock distributor? If it has been retro-ed back to points, some warming of the wiring is normal, but if it is stock solid state ignition then the ignition module could be shorted out and that in turn will burn out the hall effect device inside the distributor. As far as the click when trying to crank, locate the point of the click, sometimes the starter relays will fail, they click but won't feed power to the starter, or if they are feeding it is greatly reduced voltage and amps, some of the Fords used 2 starter relays, one one the fender apron and the other on the starter itself.

Still the stock distributor. Thanks for the info managed to figure it out it was a bad alternator