Hard Starting 305 87 Camaro 4 barrel

25

Asked by Dec 26, 2007 at 02:25 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Camaro

I have an 87 Camero with rebuilt 305 four barrel. I bought it with 27K on the engine and it now has 31K. The engine won't start unless starting fluid is sprayed down the carb. I use 87 Octane with an Octane Booster every fillup. Any suggestions as to make it start normally?
Thomas

41,645

Sounds like you've got a carburetor problem. It could be your fuel pump, also -- not sure if yours is mechanical or electric in the tank on your setup. I would check fuel filter, and try to figure out why it is not getting fuel on start-up, but I would guess the carb is bad and the float bowl is draining out while it sits. Suggest a carb rebuild.

was it original tpi engine,changed over to carb,if so fuel filter could need changing,or if manual fuel pump installed could be going bad.

335

Try pulling the plugs first. After having a look at them, report back. Are they black and wet? Are they a tan color? If they are black, you could be overrich with fuel. This could be caused by seepage upon shut down, when the fuel bowl empties itself into the intake plenum which leads down to the combustion chambers. With excess raw fuel at startup this will cause hard starting. Try this at next start: Push gas pedal to the floor, turn ignition for 15 to 20 seconds or till start. If no start, leave pedal still on floor and try once more. If no start, remove air cleaner top, with light look in top of carb, open choke plate and hold open with screwdriver, pull the carb linkage open and check if fuel is squirting in carb.If no fuel, move linkage back and forth a few more times. Still no fuel, put pedal to floor and again try to start, if no start, again look in carb for the presence of fuel. If none, check fuel pump pressure and check for restriction of fuel to carb caused by plugged fuel filter, external or internal filters, kinked fuel line, blocked fuel passages in carb. Fuel pump is wearing out. Heat from engine is boiling out fuel in carb bowls, add spacer to keep carb cool. Write more info about what equipment in on car, pictures help too!