my saturn ion won't restart after engine is warm

Asked by Nov 24, 2007 at 05:36 PM about the 2003 Saturn ION

could have a bad crank sensor or coil pack.have mechanic you trust check it out.

44,255

Yes, if the ignition module is bad, it could cause this. Another possibility is starter fade. Depending on location of the starter on this model, it may be subject to a lot of heat. I have had vehicles where the starter wouldn't crank well after a drive because the starter itself needed to cool down from getting too hot.

610

I am having the same problem with my Saturn Ion 3. I can drive it down the steet, run into the store to grab milk, come back out & it won't start. I have to sit where I am for 10 min. then it will start again. If you find out any additional information please let me know.

210

I have been having the same problem with my Saturn Ion 3 for about 1 1/2 years now. I have taken it to 3 different mechanic's and no one seems to know what is going on with it. They all tell me to take it to the dealership so they can put my car on their computerized machine to determine the cause.

210

I have been having the same problem with my Saturn. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

2,260

ok boys this is a very common problem with the ion...# 1...load test the battery(make sure you are starting off with a good battery) #2 check the keyed wire at the starter (the small one) with a volt meter...you want at least batt voltage on this wire while cranking the engine over....the most common problem is either the positive cable end at the starter being greenor the small wire being...replace both...problem solved....

130

I too am having problems with this. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion and it is so inconsistent when it will turn over. I have power so I know it is not the battery but when I turn the key in the ignition, nothing. And after reading the other blogs, it does seem to be after the car has been running and then turned off, then restarted but not always. I too am wondering if it is a starter problem. It is frustrating because it isn't consistent. Ugh!!

145

My ION 03 Quad coupe did all of the above. The answer is in the ignition module, IT MUST BE CHANGED. You dealer knows about this!

30

Yea, it sounds like mostly ignitions switch problems. If it were to be a starter overheating, which is very unlikely for new cars, the starter usually turns really slow almost like a dead battery.

15

Had the same problem with my 04 Ion Quad Coupe. Would occasionally give a click and everything would turn on, but I'd have to wait about 10 min with the ignition off till the engine would start. If i tried to start it too early, I'd have to wait the full 10 min all over again, was very annoying. The dealer knows all about it, though they may try to act like what you're telling them is so interesting. Just let them know the car starts inconsistently and they'll know exactly what to go for. I never got a definitive answer from the tech, but basically after some searching on the forums I found that a good portion of the 03/04 IONs were sold with sub-par starter solenoids. Also, YOU will be charged for the work. Guess we know why they went belly up now.

60

Topic has been discussed in depth at the following: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1137a7/300 Everyone who's tried the following fix ( "Cut the White Wire) has been 100% free of the problem since. There's a video on how to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5AGhFWcBw

all of yas could have a bad egr

35

Cutting the white wire doesn't help I tried it on my 05 Ion 3.

10

I've had the same issue for the last 2 yrs, but mine does it especially in extreme heat or cold....only now mine is going all pete tong and the trunk latch won't even open to get to the battery! I also cut the white wire and continue to have the same problems....that's not the underlying problem.

60

I had this problem with mine. It drove me nuts. Would start fine cold, and then I would shut it off and go into a store for 10 minutes and it would not start after I came back. After tinkering with the starter for some time I found that the solenoid in the starter went bad. I could get the starter to turn, but the solenoid would not kick the gear forward to engage the flywheel. I checked all the wires to starter and voltage was good, so I put a new starter in and NOW IT STARTS EVERY TIME!

30

It could be related to the infamous 2003 Ion Passlock flaw as described in this guide http://moontaj.com/passlock

70

My 03 Ion is doing the same thing, how do I get it to turn over and start? Help!!! Uggh!!!

this post was made 3 almost 4 years ago,must have had to dig deep to find this one.???????

10

2004 Saturn ION 2.2 L. Ecotec Auto Motor started missing, then it died, cranked but would not run. Did not think timing chain or BCM bad. Replaced plugs would not run, replaced ignition module, would not run, replaced coil pack, would not run. It fired good to the plugs. Finaly replaced Knock sensor located behind starter. Fixed Car and it Runs Better Than Ever. Aloways diconnect Negative Battery Terminal when working with electrical parts. Starter had to be removed to replace Knocker Sensor. After Battery rehooked back up it takes awhile for PCM to fuction 100 percent.

40

am having the same problem with my 2003 saturn ion when i start it in the morning it turn on but after me driving it for a little and then turning off it wont turn on can someone help me please

60

My car was a 94 saturn sl2. I replaced the starter and that took care of the problem. The solenoid on the starter was bad. Now my car always starts up. Before i replaced the starter it would start great in the morning, but if I turned it off and went in a store for a few minutes, it would not start again until an hour later. I eventually replaced the starter and now it starts up every time.

20

chilton repair manual says that an engine coolant temperature sensor,could be the cause of hard starting.

10

Seaview Buick/GMC in Lynnwood, WA is the official Saturn repair in my area (since Saturn went out of business). My 2003 ION has the same problems described above. My husband just spoke with the Saturn technician there and was told that very likely, it IS in the starter and not the ignition.. They said there is a little black box unit located down inside the column. Replacing this for about $150 might (very likely) will solve the problem. We had already replaced the starter and that didn't help. We can make an appointment and wait for the car. It takes about an hour.

110

I have a 2003 satrun my car starts if if is cold or cool outside but if it is hot it will not...when it does n I go a certain distance n turn it off n go back to start it won't until it has cooled down....what could it be

20

my 06 did the same thing,there is a cold valve or an enrichment valve that gas when the engine is cold and doesn't want to crank, that is contained inside thethrottle body

20

you have to change the throttle body

20

That distributes* gas when the engine is cold

10

I have a Saturn Aura xr I am having trouble starting immediately after stopping same senario as listed above. Only it takes hours to start back up change the starter bit didn't put in an original stater help pls