01 Grand Am temperature control problem

25

Asked by Dec 20, 2007 at 02:16 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am

I have and 01 grand am and my tmperature control knob doesn't work.  When I turn it on for ac or heat numbers 1-4 do not blow, only full blast on 5.  To start, I replaced the panel with all new knobs thinking maybe the switch has gone bad. After replacement, it still will only blow on the highest setting 5.  What is next for me to replace?  Does it have something to do with wiring?  If so, where can I find a diagram?

45,295

Sounds like the resistor block. Dodge vehicles have had similar problems. Ask the dealership where & how much the resistor block can be obtained. The resistor block when it goes out allows only full-blast fan operation. It is usually located behind the climate control unit in the dash. Dealership will be able to show you a diagram of where. Typically they're not too expensive either.

55

The electronic board behind the dial has burned out on those settings, you can replace it cheap. Get one from the dlrshp.

135

My bro also has a 01 grand am with the same thing. I dont have anything on 1 or 2. I have 3-5 though but you can tell they are getting weaker. Havent gotten it checked out yet so I dont have any useful info for you. Just wanna let you know your not alone :-P

55

Blower motor resistor. Part is easily picked up at the dealer for about $35 or so and can be installed with hand tools in 15 minutes. It goes behind the glove box on the passenger side, you have to get at it from underneath. Not too hard to do at all, if you can lay on your back under the dash for a bit.

15

Its not the switch its the rheostat. It's a variable resistor inside the dash.