how to program key and tumbler for 2001 grand am

Asked by Aug 26, 2007 at 09:26 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am

16,225

Hi jaymedawn, You may want to contact the dealership to have this done. I'm not able to find anything on the internet related to this task. Hope this helps!

10

I have a 2003 Grand am and about every couple of weeks it will not start due to a key program problem. After about a week of research here is the steps to re-program your key. 1. Turn the key to the on position (not the start position). 2. you will hear a beep. Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes. It must be exactly 10 min so you will need to use a stop watch (I use the one on my cell phone). 3. Imediatly after the 10 minutes turn the key to off position for 5 seconds. (I count "one-one thousand, two-one thousand, etc.) 4. After the five seconds I turn the key to the start position and it starts every time. Now if anyone knows why this is happening to my car please reply. Hope this helps you out. Again, my car is a '03 and yours is a '01 so it may be different but it may work for yours too. Good luck!!!

108,885

calvinschulte described the procedure to get your car started when the "Security" light is flashing. It's a good thing to know. I've used it several times. If you use his listed procedure, you do not have to use a timer for the ten minute period. Leave the key on until the light stops flashing - usually around ten minutes. Keeping it on longer won't hurt anything. I have never heard of programming a key and tumbler. I've had a Grand Am for ten years and I'm active on GAOwnersClub.com so if there was a procedure, I would have heard of it.