Blue and White smoke coming from exhaust

1,185

Asked by Mar 13, 2011 at 05:06 PM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Since the weather has been harsh, my car has been having issues with starting up. It's a '96 Olds Ciera SL. When it starts up, it was vibrating badly, so I checked the spark plugs and spark plug #2 had to be replaced, so I did so. Later on, not even a week after, same dilemma with it... starts up badly. Last week I had to flood the alternator just to get it to turn over... the fuel pump is new, not even a month old. Someone said that there could be dirt in the fuel lines, and to use fuel treatment when getting gas... any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

2,935

Sounds a lot like you have a blown head gasket. The color smoke youre describing is indicative of an oil/coolant leak into the cylinder. If it runs like crap after sitting that is most likely due to coolant/oil sitting in the cylinder and the engine having to burn it out before it can run efficiently.

1,185

Aw crap... any idea how much that'll run me?

2,935

Around a grand