83 Chevy G10 Van leaky master cylinder cap

Asked by Dave Feb 20, 2021 at 04:53 PM about the 1983 Chevrolet G-Series

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

This cap on these master cylinders are just a bad design.
There's a rubber gasket like insert that sits between the
cap and the main body of the cylinder which also is the
reservoir. When you drive (or park on a hill) the fluid
splashes around in the reservoir and leaks rather profusely
around the seal of the lid. Does anyone know of a fix for
this? I finally replaced the whole master cylinder. But same

2 Answers

You should be able to buy the gasket instead of the whole master cylinder.

1 people found this helpful.

Check the HELP section of your local auto parts store. You should be able to find the gasket there. Look for a newer package, rubber does have a shelf life. Hope that helps! Jim

Your Answer:

Looking for a Used G-Series in your area?

CarGurus has thousands of nationwide listings and the tools to find you a great deal.


Own this car?

Share your experience with others.

1983 Chevrolet G-Series

Review another car

CarGurus Experts

  • #1
  • #2
    james sparrow
  • #3
    Gene Arnett
View All

Know more, shop wisely


Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.