I have a 1997 Mitsubish Montero Sport and I replaced my alternator today and all of sudden the SRS light came on and my interior lights will not turn on. Also when I drive the car it will not build up speed. I can drive it but it will to build up speed for take off. Could it be I blew a fuse or something else?

5

Asked by Mar 04, 2015 at 12:21 AM about the 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

I had problems earlier this weeks with my battery so I bought a new one and then my
alternator went out. I replaced them both and then all of a sudden my SRS light came on,
the interior lights will not come on now my car will not build up RPM speed. I can put it in
second gear and it works fine could have blown a fuse??? HELP PLEASE

10

I have an 02 Montero Sport ES 3.0L 2WD, I dont know if it would be the same problem but I recently had this done. I have 118K miles on it: the cam shaft and o-rings were leaking and causing the oil to drip into the alternator and short them out. I have purchased 4 alternators over the course of the 5 years that I have owned this vehicle and went through 3 mechanics to finally figure out the problems. It cost about 1700$ to fix.

This is very very common and happen to me as well aftermarket alternators at times are just garbage and either do not work at all or they will work intermittently I simply bought a remanufactured OEM alternator and everything works perfectly but issues you're having and the combination of symptoms sounds very much like a bad alternator or battery or both I would guess it's likely the alternator especially if you charge up your battery all the way over there the following day it will start and run great for a while but eventually as the battery wears down due to the alternator not working properly or at all these issues come back hope it helps