I just changed the battery in my 2004 mits edeavor. It ran fine prior, but doesn't want to idle now?

Asked by Jan 02, 2014 at 06:03 PM about the 2004 Mitsubishi Galant

This vehicle ran perfect until the battery just couldn't keep up with the cold weather.  I checked voltage with new battery.  Is as follows...12.9v not running.  14.5v with new battery above idle.  It runs good except at idle it "varies rpm" very low and sometimes dies.

Try disconnecting the negative terminal again and also check all your connections, maybe you broke some other hose or connections loose.

I also have a 2004 Endeavor, had a similiar problem at around 107,000 miles. The only differance was I also had the battery light come on when it would idle low & would die if I didn't rev it at redlights. Brought a new battery and had close to the same readings with a volt meter. It still was my alternator. I guess it goes through intermitent spurts before it dies completely. Good luck.

BTW ; I think the Endeavor is a great SUV - Has never let me down & its cargo space is fantastic. Just wish it was a five speed instead of four.

sounds to me like you have a bad IACV (idle air control valve)

Your endeavor has the same engine my 04 Galant GTS has...see my previous post: I just changed my alternator, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets and ignition coils (be careful when removing them, the plastic on old coils get brittle over time due to extreme heat and will fall apart if you look at them funny). To do all this my battery was disconnected for some time. When everything was finally back together my car was idling very low, shut off on me a few times while coming to a stop light. To fix this 1- turn off the car and EVERYTHING electrical in the car. 2- Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. 3- re-connect the battery, get in the car, shut the doors, turn nothing on except the car. The car will idle around 1200 rpm. 4- put your foot on the brakes, put the car in drive, don't go anywhere! 5- slowly start turning on everything electrical. Start with the radio, wipers, headlights, hazard lights, open the doors so your interior lights turn on, turn on the AC, max blower, plug your phone into the charger or any other portable accessories, roll the windows up and down, open and close your electric sunroof if you have one...if the car hasn't shut off by now you'll notice it is now idling just over 500rpm....stay here for about 5-10 then slowly start turning everything off. 6. once ALL electrical stuff is off (mins the headlights if you car down not have an off switch for headlights) put the car in park, release the brakes and let the car idle another 10 minutes. Should stay between 600-800rpm....DONE! Now go drive somewhere and be happy, I just saved you a minimum $120 Mitsubishi service fee. Donations welcome, send to my paypal :) Oddssee@yahoo.com