can i give a boost to another vehicle with my 1997 mercury villager without damaging it?

Asked by Jul 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM about the 1997 Mercury Villager

connect positive to positive and negative to frame or alternator bracket...not anywhere's near moving belts or the battery, but solid ground~

8,405

First turn on the lights on the dead car. With your engine off, connect the positive cable to both batteries. Then connect the negative cable to the dead battery, and the other end to your alternator bracket or some other similar grounding point on the car, Start your car and let it run to 5 minutes to get some boost into the other batter, then shut your car off. Turn off the headlamps on the dead car. Attempt to start the other car. As soon as the other car is running disconnect the cables in the reverse procedure. Failing to turn on the headlamps on the dead vehicle can fry a computer, ad starting the other car while yours is going can fry your alternator or your fuel pump.