My 2002 Mercury Villager

Asked by Feb 04, 2016 at 11:41 AM about the 2002 Mercury Villager

My 2002 mercury villager won't start all the
lights on the dash is on but when I turn the
key..nothing..then it was making a clicking
noise..then a louder noise until I unhook the
battery cables..dose anyone know what that
can be??

510

If the battery is down get it charged up. It's not a good idea to let the alternator charge a dead battery. Unless the battery has a full charge we can't do much testing.

The battery is charged..do you think it could be the battery cables?

510

You could do voltage drop test on the cables. With the circuit under load, check for voltage on one end, then check voltage on the other end, shouldn't be much if any difference. Use a digital multimeter. If starter isn't cranking, you can check voltage and ground at the starter. Usually two voltage circuits at the starter, one comes from the battery, hot all the time. The other circuit goes hot with key in the crank position and is wired through the neutral or clutch switch depending on the tranny. You may have a starter relay. The starter body should ground through engine block. Any testing at the starter, make sure tranny is in park or neutral and the parking brake is set.

510

This is part of starter circuit, w/o antitheft. If antitheft is involved that's another issue. Note the fuses in diagram.

Thanks so much I'm going to check all of those things..there's also clicking in the fuse box where the anti theft fuse is as well.

510

If a relay is clicking, sometimes you can put your hand on the relay and feel it click, just to make sure which relay. If antitheft is the problem, I doubt if I can help?