My Mercury Villager won't start replaced the battery the cables look fine could it be the starter

55

Asked by May 06, 2013 at 03:38 PM about the 1999 Mercury Villager

My Mercury Villager won't start replace the battery and the cables seem fine

25,425

does the engine turn over?

they forgot to clean the other end of the black wire as it bolts to the chassis...clean the chassis, clean the lug, clean the bolt...next clean the connection that goes to the motor block, all 1/0 battery cable capable of 300 CCA....on the positive terminal, should be smooth sailin' all the way to the starter solenoid, have your guy remove the bolt (at least partially, and get in there with a small wirebrush) and re- tighten~ this should set the record straight~

25,425

Now see this is a good time for that kind of answer!

55

No It did not turn over

55

No it did not turn over

25,425

Then yes it could be the starter. can you check and see if you have power to your starter. the big wire should have power all the time. the small wire should have power when you turn the key yo start it.

Did the starter work sometime before the battery replacement, or was it always a dead soldier?

55

It started before I replaced the battery I took the old battery to the auto parts store and had it tested. They told me that the battery was bad. I bought a new battery and it did the same thing that the old battery did.

is it far to go back? we could see if the new starter is a dud, because if you've established solid power connections like my associate says 'bad starter' which is not impossible, I've seen many defective rebuilds in my day....take it back and have them 'bench test' this unit that you bought from them~

could take a pair of jumper cables and clamp the starter so it doesn't move and try to make it start, but this is a dangerous practice and fires and batteries can go in a heartbeat if the jumpers touch~...that's why I suggest the test be performed by the guys who sold you the starter...unless they would like to make it work on their bench to show you that it works!~

25,425

Did I miss the part where a new starter had already been put on?

25,425

@judge roy. I cant remember which post we were talking about cocktails. But the problem has been solved! I am enjoying a martini as i type this. Cheers!

yay. stolichnaya or tank-er-ray skyyy vodka I haven't tried...Mr. Tuck (22 years at PGandE) used to sit and drink gordons gin all night long, directly across the street. "ya wannadrink" was a command and there I was drinkin' shots of gin at 8:00 am....the things we do to just get along...Athens avenue was in the Blackest part of Oakland near downtown...I got shot getting a bag of ice...then we moved back to Wisconsin in 2002....boy what a mistake...still like to enjoy a gibson (picked cocktail onion of two) and white wine as vermouth rather than the crappy red stuff~ Claudia don't like it, and never drinks Gin but will have a white russian in honor of the dude in the big lebowski~

used to drink those in the "martini" stem glasses, but they don't hold enough, the ice is all melted by the time you get to round two and they always break leaving you with an acquard triangular shaped glass you can't set down...am partial to the low-boy cocktail glass at 8oz ea. neato as having a special glass and special shaker and ice separator is~

25,425

Yeah i just put them in a regular glass im not fancy haha. White Russians you say! Had many of those in my 4 day stint in vegas. They are free as long as you sit at a table or machine. Werent bery strong but they keep bringin them so it didnt matter.

half-and-half....no one uses it...it's what the recipe calls for....the dude was sipping out of a container of it in the Ralphs grocery store...

those leather-skinned crusty ole women who park themselves in front of the penny machines smoking a cigarette....are a landmark there~

thanks for the bonding moment there. mister. need as many damned friends as possible....have NO kids, so there's that disintrest, cannot find a guy to play music with (have all the jazz standards scores in C) a piano, guitar, bass, sax, clarinet, flute....but no one to play a little tune with...I've got a Shogi board from Japan (not without any Jr. league cheaters either) but no one who understands that you replay your captured opponents~ which is cool, but the shogi proverbs says that a wise player never has time to replay the captured pieces~

25,425

No wife?

We have an apartment in east Richmond, she's married to her job and comes to visit with her secret garden and our four cats for 3 days a week~

She doesn't play any instruments...she doesn't play games of any kind, but is an art major and uses her design skills at her job (the tile shop, in berkeley)...we've been together since 1984...

25,425

Well i guess 3 days a week is better than 0.

25,425

Thats longer than ive been alive haha

She does not like the color pink...she does not like "ladies" clothing..she doesn't like her ass checked out but guys in the stockroom drop what they are doing to look at it...one of her best features