Engine Surge & Not Returning To Idle When Slowing Down

70

Asked by Jun 24, 2009 at 06:21 PM about the 2003 Mazda MAZDA6

I have a 2003 Mazda 6 4-cylinder automatic.  A few days ago it started doing a couple of odd things.  First, when slowing down (as to a stop light) the engine rpm SOMETIMES doesn't drop to idle as I approach the light.  The engine wants to stay and around 1800 rpm and keep the car going.  The brakes stop the car just fine, but the car wants to go.  Second, when cruising at around 45 mph, the engine surges from 1800 rpm to 2200 rpm.  It happens when in drive or in "manual" and also happens in cruise control.  Third, twice the engine was REALLY trying to rev at a stop light.  The second time it happened I put the car in neutral and the engine rev'ed to 3000 rpm so I shut off the engine.  When I restarted it a minute later it acted just fine.  

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

95

have you run it in to the local mazda dealer to ask them could it be an oxygen sensor problem perhapsis the car serviced regularly.

70

My car is doing the exact same thing. Have you been able to fix it, if so, what was done?

155

There is a new update for your computer. I just had it done on my Mazda6 v6. I'm not sure if it applies to the I4 model. Best thing to do is to have it scanned and diagnosed for problem codes. Many codes will not set off a check engine light but will be stored.

30

my car is doing the exact same thing....i mean exactly as you describe! Have you found out what was wrong with it? mine just started and I havent taken it into the mechanic just yet. if you could give me any kinds of heads up i would really appreciate and I hope that your problem was resolved. Thanks!

70

Sorry for the late reply -- I don't check email very often. Anyway, yes, the problem was easily fixed. The Mazda dealer updated the power control module. Basically, the computer program that controls the engine and transmission somehow gets corrupted. By updating it to the latest version, the problem is taken care of. The service manager told me they always update it anytime someone brings a car in to be serviced. The problem happened over a year ago and has never recurred. Good luck.

10

I just bought a 05 madza 6I and it was doing that it could be the igntion switch causing to much spark or not enough spark. have you replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs recently, also could be bad injectors also.

30

Our 2003 Mazda 6 idles horrible at start up. RPMs surge up and down but after about 1-2 minutes it runs perfect. We have replaced the fuel censor and throttle body and tried to replace the PCV but couldn't get it off. Someone above mentioned having them update the power control module. Anyone have info that could help, or know how much that might cost? Thanks!

10

Mine did the awful idle at start up and then ran perfectly after a few minutes and it ended up being from a split in the hose that goes to the PCV. I guess once the car warmed up the split would seal itself and that is why it would return to normal idle. In my experience, nothing comes off a 2003 Mazda 6 easily....

Am facing lots of problems with my Mazda6 2003 4cylinders, my car gear always take 3 to 5 minutes before it gets load especially when the engine is cold and I've changed the Gear Box, Brain box, fuel pump, and injector mouth but still the car is not yet okay, moreover, I've scanned it but the scanning machine didn't detect any fault concerning the gear problems please if There's anybody that knows the solution to my problems please don't hesitate to give me the useful informations. Thanks