Ran my c10 71' out of gas the other day and ever since it won't stay running without me giving it gas.

Asked by Sep 02, 2015 at 10:07 PM about the 1971 Chevrolet C/K 10

It runs for about 3 mins without me
giving it gas then sputters out and
dies. Then I have to continue giving it
gas to keep it running. I have not
touched the timing. It ran prefect
before I ran it out of gas.

2,215

ok here is some thing take a hand towl wet it down and ring it out so it is still alittle moist. wad it up and start the truck. rev at the carb to 2500 to 3000 and hold it there now take the rag in your hand and put it over the top of the carb like you are trying to smother it. just before it dies pull the the rag back off remember to keep holding the throttle at 2500 to 3000 rpm. this creates alot of vacuum and the moisture cleans the jets from dirt. do about 4 or 5 times and see how it runs then.

72,145

Nice tip...

18,765

Not a bad idea to change your fuel filter and check the strainer on the inlet of the carb

960

to expound on Andrew's answer ... check the trash screen at the fuel inlet to the carb. Detach the fuel line and unscrew the fitting where the fuel line was attached. Be careful when you remove the fitting because there is a small spring that holds the screen in place. If you ran out of gas it is probable that you sucked up some rust and/or trash that lives at the bottom of your gas tank. The screen can become choked with it.