1994 Ford Probe won't start. What could be the problem?

90

Asked by Feb 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM about the 1994 Ford Probe

1994 Ford Probe 2.0L 4cly manual

Does it crank over? Is there any gas in the gas tank? Are the battery teminals free of corrosion and have connections that are capable of pulling many amps? the three basics: fuel, air, and spark. We shall test for all three starting with spark. Do you have spark at the end of the spark plug wire? If yes do you have gas in the carburetor or throttle if it's a tbi? next is the air filter doin it's job? Then it's a matter of timing of the spark and tuning the mix- I'm not runnin a school here, just tryin' ta help~

90

It does not crank at all. There is gas. New (used) battery that is good. terminals and wires good. Spark plugs were going to be my next guess so i should check that out.

Does not crank at all? well. now we've opened a special new can of worms to chase. first- interlock on the clutch pedal, must be clear so it can make it to the bottom and engage the switch to tell it's been pressed, next the transmission has to be in neutral. Goose the throttle (yes a ford diagnostic tool said the word 'goose') while cranking and should cough, cough and start runnin' at the very least should go 'click' to a locked up engine (if your moto is locked).

870

Does it make any kind of start-up noise. ? Or is it completely dead? Does your dashboard light up as you try to crank it? Did you notice any kind of symptoms before it went out?

I think she's fighting the clutch interlock~

90

No noise what so ever, but the dash board lights up. Thought it was the starter but got it checked out and it was fine. replaced the nutural clutch sensor and it seemed to work for a while then stopped again so it has to be something with the ignition.

90

You can still start it if you pop the clutch

well you see you've solved the problem yourself. Now I'll just shop for a minute and get back-

http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/ford-probe/clutch_interlock_switch.html what 11.60 no you could never afford that!

90

ok ill check it out thanks!

Don't know of your first replacement...you say. Why not start with a freshie? pehaps your replacement wasn't done correctly (forgot a screw or two) because if you pop the clutch it engages. Might take a good look up there under that dash to get an eyefull of that repair to make sure it is koash~

you may not need to replace this one if it is in there just installed wumpus-

10

When I put the key in it will not turn far to start

I believe the steering wheel is twisting/torquing at the start switch...pull the steering wheel left then right ----repeat...jigglie jiggin' the key back and forth...and it will engage...what we're fighting here is the steering lock mechanism....sometimes they get stuck and won't allow the key to turn all the way~

10

Thanks Mark Ok I did that and still will not go any more will try it again but if that don't do it what is the next thing to do.

10

By the way Mark this is on a 94 Toyota Camry

,,,okay....darn it should have taken the name MARK...you're dealin' with the judge....ole judge_roy....at your service....sometimes~

okay camry...check...thought it was a ford somehow...still go to rockauto.com and thru their menus to find the part....it's what I will do...but you could too~

10

Is there anyone i can talk to about my 94 ford probe

94 probe se...was driving, then ran hot,,,now when I turn the key, only a spinning sound is heard, dash lights work, wont bump start,,,starter? safety neutral switch?

I have a 1995 Ford probe gt when I push the clutch in an hold it it tries to engage and won't let pedal off floor in less i pull it up with my toe