Why won't my car shift

150

Asked by Aug 20, 2015 at 03:42 PM about the 1989 Ford Crown Victoria

1,655

Is shifter stuck?won't come out of park?or is trany just not shifting going down road?

150

My transmission won't change out going down road when it tries to change out of first its almost like it goes into neutral

Good question Bender0013. We need that information to help you. Meantime start by checking trans fluid, running in Park.

150

Fluid level is good I even changed the filter someone told me it could be the modulator

Ok, if your car accelerates as it should from a stop, but then won't shift, there are shifting solenoids inside the transmission. I don't know if the 4R70 or 4R70W was available yet in '89. Is it a 351.. and FI or carb?

150

It's actually an 88' engine size is 5.0 fuel injected if I shitf it into overdrive it'll do everything on the dash and more I'm not sure what size the transmission is

I went looking and the 4R70 trans wasn't used until 1991. But that 5.0/302 is a really good engine. But we aren't talking engine problems, just my thoughts there. I have to go for a while but will be back and do some research.. be an hour or so.

150

Ok

It's very likely an AOD, .. that's all that Ford called it, Automatic OverDrive. A 4-speed trans that replaced the C5, used in the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis until 1992. Unless your car is a PI? A police Interceptor Crown Vic? Even if it is, pretty much the same except Ford used carburetors in to the 90's. More power with a carb and less electronics to deal with. But now, if it is an AOD it does not have a modulator. The next window is copied and pasted (I cheated, but got some good information)

Best Answer Mark helpful

Throttle Valve Operation ------------------------ The AOD does not use engine vacuum and a modulator valve to sense load. Instead, a throttle valve is used which moves proportional to throttle pedal travel. Unlike a kick-down rod, the TV linkage has to operate throughout the full travel. This is one of the most important parts of the swap to get right. Failure to do so will cause poor shift quality and can ruin the transmission. When adjusting the linkage, it is safer to err on the side of hard shifts. There are a several ways of implementing the TV linkage and the linkages can be pirated from cars or trucks that came with AOD's and carbs or throttle body injection. A rod arrangement was used on AOD cars equipped with carbs and TBI while a cable was used on SEFI cars. We were planning on getting the linkage off a variable venturi (VV) carb from a local junkyard that had a stack of them, but they had recently tossed them all out. We ended up just adapting the kick down rod to serve as the TV linkage. The trick is to ensure the proper range of travel of the transmission TV lever for the entire carburetor throttle range. We used another AOD equipped car to look at to get the proper lever orientation and ratios. After we were finished with the swap, I noticed a friend's 1981 AOD equipped pickup truck has a rod linkage with an adjustable lever at the transmission and a threaded arrangement at carb that looks like it might work nicely as a swap linkage. Remember, you'll need a way to adjust the linkage to vary shift feel. Alternatively, you can purchase an aftermarket TV cable kits (available from Windsor-Fox (http://www.windsor-fox.com), Total Performance, and others). For more information on alternatives, find a copy of the May 1990 issue of Super Ford magazine. The article "A-OK AOD" contains a sidebar on adapting the AOD to non-stock applications. Ignore the part about your stock flexplate and block plate working just fine and pay close attention to the linkage descriptions.

150

So if it isn't a modulator what else could cause this problem

150

So I have to replace the throttle valve what does it look like and where exactly is it located

Ok, now that we have come this far, we need to know what transmission you have, with no doubts, because from here on we have to look at solenoids, and the AOD was used in the Crown Vic from 1980 to 1993.

I have to look around to find out that. Be back as soon as I find it

150

OK but how can I tell what type of tranny it is

Here is about the best page I could find. I have been looking for a how-to-install, with very little results. This will go full screen. http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SNX-76989K

yikes... I wish I knew how to ID it. I really don't know that

150

Ok

You might have to invest in a good book..Chilton's.. or maybe if you have a good library near

Josh I hope I was at least some help. I didn't answer as much as I wish I could.

I have a 2007 crown victory police interceptor it won't go into gear at all what's wrong

10

I'm hear some rattling in the rear in and it won't go into gear