How do you unlock a Santa Fe when the keys are inside and the motor is running?

30

Asked by Apr 15, 2015 at 03:08 PM about the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe

I locked the keys inside my Hyundai Santa Fe with the motor running.  How can that
happen?  But more importantly, how do I get inside?  How do I unlock it?

30

I didn't think it was possible to lock a key fob inside the car but apparently it is.

3,595

You posted this 19 hours ago, so I would guess you must have gotten into the car by now, or you stayed with it until it ran out of gas. Your only choices at a time like that are call a lock smith or break a window. For future reference, keep a spare key in your wallet or hidden someplace on the outside of the vehicle.

945

i use a rock and brake window i have done it before.

20

Did you find out the problem? My wife's locks her keys in too.

20

There seems to be some electrical issues to include the lights staying on and the radio staying on when you open the door. I was standing with her next to the car, with the key FOB in the car and I heard it lock by itself. We used the second set of keys to open it, but it is not working as it is suppose to. I'm trying properly diagnose so we can take it in to the dealership. Sometimes they blow you off and thinks its an operator error. I was wondering if you made any progress on figuring it out?

40

Stand by the driver's door with your cell phone. Call someone else that has your spare key. Have them hold their key fob to the mouth piece on their phone and press their "unlock" button while you hold your cell phone close to your door lock. Your door will unlock from the beeps that they send you. -------- It has been a few years since my wife and I tried this and it worked flawlessly on many occasion on some older cars. We have not tried it recently, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try this for future use.

50

Last week in France i stopped a toll booth, the ticket was on other side so I stopped engine got out of car left keys in side and locked the door after me inadvertently What a nightmare! Nobody within 1000 km to help How can this happen? Should there not be an interlock to prevent this happening?

40

30

I have just done this with 2014 Santa Fe. I got out of the car with the lights, radio and engine running to open a gate. When i went to get back in, all doors are locked. Fortunately I was only a mile from home so went and got the spare keys. It was the only way to open it by actually inserting the keys, the fob button would not unlock it. This must be an electrical fault surely.

30

Pretty much the same issue with 2014 Santa Fe. Open the door with button on handle. Then my wife puts her keys in the car which are inside her pocketbook. She closed the door and finds everything is locked. This has happened twice. Her cell phone is inside her pocketbook with the key fob, so I'm wondering if that could cause issues?

50

Finally my local Hyundai dealer provided an answer Apparently there is a 'hijack' software setting for the door which allows the door to be locked with keys inside by touching the handle ! This is a common requirement for vehicles for use in countries such as South Africa but should not be applicable for western Europe. Dealer reprogrammed the logic for the door and says I should not have the problem again Thing is: why didn't they warn me before now ??

20

Mine locked itself while idling on a cold winter night. Luckily, I had a friend there to drive me home and back with my wife's keys. This was my lesson to never get out of the car without my keys.

Well me having OCD....and worrying about this..I just Roll down the window.very simple fix.

20

OCD? What's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder got to do with this?

10

This didn't work for my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. The only solution since my other fob was not nearby was to download the bluelink app and unlock it remotely. Thankfully I have bluelink and it worked.

Use key from the FOB, turn it to the Right while pressing unlock the button on the door handle. The door should unlock. I just figured this out on my 2014 SF Sport T