'94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L Stalls, Then Starts Within 10-20 Minutes

35

Asked by Sep 06, 2011 at 02:06 PM about the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hi,
First of all my Jeep has 195,000 miles on it and has never given me trouble besides normal wear and tear. Within the last 6 months it has stalled on me about 4 times. Twice while standing at a red light which I was able to start it right away and the other  two times it happened in the last few days. Once while I was driving about 55mph it just stalled and I was able to start it in neutral while still moving. And yesterday I could'nt start it in my driveway. I had it towed to the shop and as bad luck would have it, it started at the shop this morning but they didn find an error history on the computer on a crankshaft position sensor. They have nothing else to go by so they are waiting for the part to replace it. Last week I brought it to the shop after I stalled and they replaced the distributer cap which was all carbonized but apparently that wasn't the problem. With my luck, after the crankshaft position sensor is replaced I just have a bad feeling that this will happen again. Did anyone else ever have this problem and if so, what was the solution. Thanks for your help.

395

I had this issue and it was the crank sensor.

Best Answer

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed,your fuel pump could be getting week.just stalling sounds like a fuel issue.if the crank sensor was bad it would not stall on you,so rule that out.also have the cat converter checked,it could be cloged up causeing the stalling.also the ignition control switch could be bad.just a few ideas to bring up to your mechanic.

395

Sorry Papa --your wrong on the crank sensor...just had this issue a few months ago...you'd be driving and the jeep would just turn off...like it did not have any fuel...you could wait a little while and it would start back up.

NO not wrong on this,had one myself,the crank sensor will not cause a stall while running.it will however cause a no start wait 10 to 15 min then it may start.eather way the crank sensor is a quick replacement part on the jeep.

395

We would be drivng at 60 mph and it would just shut off...it was the crank sensor causing this...I changed the sensor and it has not ever happened again....fairly priced part but kind of in a tight place to change it.

35

Thanks for all your answers, they were very helpful. I finall got the problem repaired and it was the crankshaft position sensor. It showed up as a history code, was replaced and the carr has been running fine. Thanks again.

395

You are welcome...and good luck in the future

30

Had the same issue the shop i took it to had to wait for it to happen for diagnostics it did when i pulled up it was the crank sensor