Jeep Grand Cherokee 1995 power steering fluid coming out the top.

5

Asked by Jan 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

It isn't leaking from the bottom, rather it seems to be breaking the seal of the
cap and looks like it sprays out the top onto the front drivers side of my
engine. We have to put power steering fluid in at least 3 times a week. What
could this be and how do I fix it?

73,005

Is the vehicle running when it does this? And do you turn the wheel all the way over to one side or the other until it stops turning? Don't do that.

5

The vehicle is running when it does it like when I am driving so I haven't seen it actually do this. But that is where all of it is when I open my hood. I try to avoid turning it to the max when possible. The few times I have had to do that it makes a horrid noise like i have no fluid in there at all.

73,005

If the pump is making a very noticeable noise, chances are it is on its way out. All that is involved with the power steering system on yours is the power steering pump, a pressure switch, and the steering gear box along with hoses that connect the system. I see power steering pumps from $60 to $200 depending on brand name. If you are also noticing the steering being different due to the power steering, a new pump would be your best bet.

5

It only makes a noise when the fluid is very low. I have only had to make the turn till the wheel is at the stopping point when ive had to go and get more fluid. It doesnt make the noise constantly nor the steering being different other than when the fluid is low. Why would a failing pump push the fluid out the cap/top of the reservoir rather than something else?

73,005

You could try replacing the cap / dipstick... the defector rubber shield toward the top of the cap may be distorted enough as to not be able to hold down the fluid. There about $10-$15.

5

I will try that and let you know what happens.

5

Also, The fluid sounds like it is boiling well after the car has been off for a while. Not sure what exactly that means if anything or if it has anything to do with the problem at hand.

73,005

Ok when I was looking for parts, I did see a power steering cooler that they say is an original hook-up. Is there one on there? I'm thinking you should get the fluid changed out, heat is a killer, just like engine oil, needs to be changed, but not is often.