tapping noise

Asked by Apr 14, 2010 at 03:29 PM about the 2002 Jeep Liberty

tapping noise in engine gets louder as engine warms up

45

connecting rod bearing or wrist pin slapp..sorry

3,015

Which engine do you have and whats the mileage?

1,305

it could just be a collapsed lifter, and mileage doesnt matter. a tick is a tick. whens the last time you changed the oil? if its been awhile i suggest you do it. and i would add a quart of lucasoil heavy duty oil stabilizer. if you know anyone whos knows their way around a car i would drop the whole oil pan and look for metal shavings or other things that shouldnt be there

3,015

First off, mileage has a major impact on the proper diagnosis of any vehicle. And 'anyone that knows there way around a car' would know that use of any type of 'stabilizer' is just snake oil. If you want ill buy the island of Manhattan from you for a handful of beads? The manufacturer recommends a certain viscosity oil on an engine to engine basis due to different oiling needs designed by the engineer. So, you adding an oil stabilizer which effectively makes the oil thicker will lengthen the time it takes to reach critical engine parts especially on cold starts. Why would you want to pull the pan the check for metal shavings and the such, when you could just drain the oil and check the condition of it outside of the car. Dont most oil drain plugs have magnets on the end of them? On certain vehicles the technician get paid multiple hours just to r&r and oil pan...not very cost effective to pull it yourself to diagnose a tick if you ask me. Furthermore, the reason i asked for the mileage and engine type is the fact that being a Chrysler certified technician myself, i have come across many different 'tick' noises and would be better able to steer someone in the right direction if i had all pertinent information.

20

I have a tapping sound in my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L V6. The noise appears loud about 3 seconds after vehicle is started and when engine warms up quiets down to a suttle tap. Now in the past ( a few months ago, my jeep overheated about 3 times, I had to replace the fan relay) and now my jeep leaks a little oil. I have quite a bit of blow by when I remove the oil cap when vehicle is running, enough where it looks like a chimney.

Can some body tell me i just rebuilt my 02jeep 3.7 moisture in block it's was not there the day befor i want out to start it. And it just crick i put a new pvc v it start up but now there is a. I put all new parts in it