problems with gas gauge

35

Asked by Jan 17, 2008 at 05:00 PM about the 2005 Isuzu Ascender

the fuel gauge fluctuates never giving a proper fuel reading

you probley have a bad sending unit in gas tank.

46,115

Agreed.

7,365

Remember, as my auto teacher always used to say "a gas gauge is just a guess, they are your most un-reliable gauge". It is funny after hearing this for 4 years, it is so true. what I do when I get a new car is I fill up, reset the trip meter and drive until either I run out of gas or a fuel light comes on, or more importantly if I feel that I have gone far enough. then I fill it up (I find out how big the take is) then I know how far I can go. in over 25+ years of driving I have only ever ran out twice, Once was 2 kms from the gas station, the second time was when I found out my tank got "speared" while I was driving it. I find the fill-drive-fill method the best for range and accurcy. I hope this helps, best of luck

I am just now buying a 2006 Ascender with the exact same problem. I'll follow this for updates and advice. THX ~ JD