i ran my gas very low maybe even out in my 1991 q45.i made it to the house though so didnt know till i went to leave.It started normally but it died when i pushed the gas.

T Smith
0

Asked by Feb 05, 2013 at 10:30 PM about the 1991 Infiniti Q45

when i let it sit after i started it it slowly acted like it was gone die so i gave it some gas and that made
it die quicker. this is after i walk to the store and got bout 2 gallons of gas and put it in their

Sounds like an in-tank Chrysler, but it's an infiniti. The headaches are the same with an in-tank pump. Starts to run hot as the gasoline keeps it cool. Don't know for sure, but there's an access cover in the trunk that you can try n' change out this fuel pump. If not there's the nasty business of draining and dropping the tank, which is boilerplate for a chrysler, but maybe we'll get lucky with your infiniti~

joef
5,755

When you run your fuel tank low with fuel, your fuel pump has to work hard to get the fuel up to the lines and gets hot because there is no gas to cool it down. It may also suck in some air which is very bad for the fuel pump. Your fuel pump probably needs to be replaced. Can you hear it turn on when you turn the key to the 'on' position without cranking or starting the engine? You should be able to hear it prime (A low hum sound coming from the fuel tank) for about 2-3 seconds as soon as you turn the key. If you don't hear that noise, your fuel pump is not working.

Alls I can say Tony is run the tank on FULL, all the time, after every trip, I don't let it get down to 3/4 tank. The price of gas is going up, just saves you that couple o extra pennies each fill-

joef
5,755

Yeah.. I try not to let my fuel go below 1/2. No aftermarket fuel pump will ever be a good as the original. I just installed a new Delphi fuel pump in my Mark VII and its already making noise :/

James Ramond
17,995

pump motor may feel hot to touch but I say it can stand heat in open air,the damage would be in the pump impellers as the fuel lubes and cools them as they spin,if you run dry and add fuel above the pickup ,and sometimes its more than 3 gallons it should self prime with a few key on key offs then start it up

"open air" pumps, like Honda used to have do not exist any more because of horrible firey crashes and ensuing jurisprudence~

@joef, are there any "fuel pump" units, bout the size of a campbell soup can, covered in rubber, with two prong connector and banjo fittings, or am I lost in old mercedes or fiat land...buhbuhbuh? I swear I've changed out a dozen of these in my days between 93-96?

My 88 Quantum...man those cars were choice, but laden with sevaral fatal flaws...seems like the auto industry is great at 'fatal flaws'!!

87,135

You might need more than a couple of gallons of gas. Pour in a couple more and turn the key to "Start" a couple of times to run the pump and pressurize the system. Don't go changing the fuel pump on internet myths - make sure it's dead first. Some cars has a Schrader valve in the fuel line where you can check the pressure. It looks like a air valve on a tire (because it is).

Michael Tutty
7,605

The first thing I would suspect is that you have dirt in your fuel filter. It sounds like a starvation problem rather than a no fuel problem. Fuel filters are cheap and easy, so are a good first step to try. Pumps are a LOT more money to buy and a lot more labour to install. Also, filters are routine maintenance.

Tony Pritchett
0

Activate driving and was running fine then all at once it's just that act like it's not getting gas now then I'll wait for a few minutes and then started back up runs fine