My air conditioner is not producing cold air - Why?

Asked by Jul 01, 2015 at 03:56 PM about the 2011 Ford Escape

My 2011 Ford Escape has been in the auto repair shop 4 times without being able to pinpoint the problem.  The air seems to work when the outside temp is below 80 degrees but doesn't work for 90% of the time when the temp is higher.  Previously the air didn't work when set at level 2 and 3 of the four levels.  The condenser, expansion valve and receiver/drier have been replaced.  Previously, the air would work for a day or two after in the shop but would return back to blowing out warm air.  Thanks!

18,810

Try cleaning out your A.C condenser coil with a garden hose and nozzle or better yet a pressure washer could be the condenser coil is clogged or partially clogged with dirt and bugs allowing little to no air flow across the coils. Could be that is why it cools until temps get really high. Also have your orfice tube filter check this is a filter that is located in the high side line of the A.C system.

130

I'm being told by the Ford Dealer that my a/c is not working due to water getting in under the seal. Ford is aware of this problem (2011 Escape) but refuses to fix free of charge. The answer is to pay the $1,070. and hope the sealing they are going to do works. Last Ford for me. Owner of Fords since 2000.

80

Explorer 2008 Heater quit. IN South DAkota in January. Learned it is a systemic issue. then A C quit...again a systemic issue. Then bought a Ford Escape: AC quit. Dealer fixed it, failed immediately. 3 K underwater, of course! Sorry Ford you had your chance!!

140

I am experiencing the same intermittent issue of the A/C starting to blow hot air when 2013 Ford Explorer has been sitting out/ driving in temps over 90 degrees outside. Been to 3 different Ford dealers in NC, SC, and PA and they have not been able to find or repair problem. Have contacted Ford customer service and they have done nothing to elevate this issue. Vehicle back in shop while outside temps in 90s

140

A/C works fine otherwise and dealers say no error codes are recorded and all A/C test gauges read normal when tested. Wonder if this is a systemic design flaw in Ford SUVs???

18,810

My wife's 2014 Nissan Rouge was doing the same thing took it to dealer and of course they could not find anything wrong. Being a mechanic myself is suggested it had a bad expansion valve but they said was not covered under the warranty so replaced the valve myself and that took care of problem.

40

My Ford Escape 2009 has only 21000 miles as it is only driven locally for medical reasons, yet the AC stopped working, there is a whine from the electronic power steering, so has no fluid Reservoir to top up and the back gate refuses to open.

50

add another FORD "Fix Or Repair Daily" ...crap ac problems..I thought I did my homework before buying but didnt, bought this thing and now read all over about the crappy faulty ac that costs $$$$$$thousands to repair. Ford Escape 2011

10

I have found out that heater of a Ford Escape 2015 doesn't work when is parked for a while and start blowing cold air.

20

I have a 2011 Ford Escape and a 2010 Ford Focus. lrsacramento described my issues to the T on both of my cars. One thing is Ford also states the water tank and belt are faulty. I did have to pay but only around 300 but they don't work at high temperatures. I will never go back to Ford again. One other behavior on my escape if you have the ac set to level 1, 2, 3, no air blows. set it to 4 cold air blows for about 3 minutes, press max ac I immediately get warm air.

60

2011 Ford Escape. AC blowing hot air. The compressor kept cutting out. On and off but never cold air, anyhow. Bought the freon recharge. Tried to recharge high side (bigger tube) but the gauge read full (red area). I bled the AC high pressure line. Then rechecked with the recharge gauge. It stabilized in green fluctuating but stayed in the green. This fixed the problem immediately. Bled the line with an allen wrench. AC is now freezing cold. Thank you. Good luck.

That works. Not sure for how long.