2010 Escape XLT 4WD is taking on water, resulting in metal rusting out

Asked by Oct 21, 2012 at 05:06 PM about the 2010 Ford Escape

Is there a a TSB covering leaks in a 2010 Escape XLT 4WD that would cause carpets to be soaked and all metal parts on the underside of the car to be covered with rust? Car is 3 y.o., 39K miles. It was bought new by a family member and now owned by my granddaughter. Problem first surfaced just recently as excessive condensation on the windshield and quickly escalated into a major problem. They took 2+ gal. of water out of it today w/a shop vac after she noticed the carpets were wet. When they pulled the carpeting, all metal parts, seat tracks and bolts under the carpet are wet and covered w/rust. No indication of any problem until this happened.

100

It sounds like someone left the windows down in a rain storm. Perhaps a window or sunroof is leaking? As far as rust underneath the vehicle, preventitive maintenance tasks can simply eliminate the problem. Vehicles are built with little regard against weather protection under the vehicle, and undercoatings and other products help protect against the rust. Manufacturers get to sell more cars the more they let them rust out....

30

I do not think that there is a problem with someone left a window open. We had the same problem with the same model, and the dealer in Panama said that there is a problem with a plug or a seal on the floor of the car. They changed the plug and we are waiting for the next rainy season to see if that works.

35

Was the car in an accident? Rain gutters on the roof might be suspect.

30

The car is almost new, is just has been use for 15K km and it was not in any accident. We asked directly to Ford Company in USA to figure out what was the problem, because the dealer in Panama did not give me a satisfactory answer. They sent the car to some repair center and said that there was a problem with the door, but for me the door was ok. We ask if it is possible that the air conditioning system could be the problem, because we have a similar problem with another car, but nobody could answer that. I hope bjkirk107 could contact the Ford Company dealer near to them and ask directly or check his car with the closest dealer. Thanks for your suggestions.

30

Just another question. Do you know which one is the fuse for the cigarette lighter in that model. In the owner´s guide, from page 247 through 254, there is no indication of that fuse. The lighter is broken and I guess there is a problem with the fuse. Thanks.

35

Oh, has the windshield ever been replaced?

25

Bad underbody seal somewhere they use wipe-ons, die cut sealers and plugs. Need to water test vehicle and watch for leaks. With that amount of water should be easy to find and seal w/ caulk. Remove carper drive in heavy rain or spray with hose underneath and in wheel house area. Clean area of rust first then caulk if it is at a seam. Missing plug probably would need to buy.

25

They do not install car lighters anymore. Look for a fuse for a Powerpoint a lighter will not work in it. Ford use to offer smokers package not any more. Buy a BIC.

40

I have a 2010 Ford Escape that leaks up from the floorboard on the driver`s side. 1. The windshield was replaced; but we tested by running a hose over Windshield without any sign of a leak. 2. We did the same thing with the door gasket with the same results. 3. We did the same with the sunroof with the same results. 4. We have owned the car since it we new, no accidents, or any body Damage. 5. Under the drivers side of the car there is a for lack of a better word a War of body sealer that looks like it was patted on by hand. On the Other side of the car the body sealer is a neatly sprayed pattern.

5

Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2009 Everybody, I was shocked that you all experienced what I am! Maybe we should lobby for a recall? I live in Northern California. In addition to being drier than a lot of places in North America, we have had a drought for the last few years, and I don't drive as many miles as most people; so I'm not surprised that my problem started happening at about 53,000 miles. Noticed the carpet of the passenger side floor being totally soaked; a lot of condensation in the vehicle; and the heater died. Fixing the heater cost around $140.00. My Extended Warranty took care of some of the cost for the heater, but it does not cover leaks. My Dealer Maintenance Rep told me that leaks are not covered after the Standard Factory 5 Year Warranty is finished; last August 3rd, for me. Dealer Maintenance Rep said that it would cost me $240.00 to investigate my problem. The $240 charge would have applied, whether I had the heater work done at the same time, or not. I am now soaking up the water with towels and cranking the heater (down-vent) at 90 degrees, until it dries. I hope to receive more information (as well as share) from people over the Internet. Perhaps I can find a an independent repair shop to fix this problem, for less than $240? Please contact me so we can share our information! Please remember that this may also apply to the Ford Escapes.

10

I have a 2010 ford escape and water is getting in on the driver side. My husband think it is the COWL. Crazy it is only in the middle of the floor not on the sides just in the middle part of the driver side.

I have a 2012 Ford Escape and my driver side carpet is soaked 24/7 I have know idea what the problem is but my family thinks it is the a/c hose anybody know if this is the problem?