How do I change the alternator fuse in a 2010 Toyota corolla

335

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 02:53 PM about the 2010 Toyota Corolla

I found the fuse box under the hood in the engine compartment, looks like the fuse box
has several layers, not sure about taking all this apart to change the alt fuse, is there a
better way??

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM12E31U/pdf/sec_04-03.pdf

I put that in a window by it's self to make it easy to hyperlink. The box does not have multiple layers. fuse #6 is labeled ALT, Page 354, scroll down -----120 Amp fuse, the main charging system fuse along with many other things So what is going on anyway? Battery light lit on dash? No crank?

335

no, my friend changed my alternator and blew the fuse, i looked at the info you sent, I'll upload a picture of the fuse box, it doesn't look like the diagram :( The inside of the cover looks like the info you sent, just not the fuse box itself

335

the inside of the fuse box cover shows the alt fuse right in the #6 spot, the picture i uploaded, the #6 spot would be in the top left of the fuse box

Also fuse #19 is a 7.5 Amp fuse labeled 'charging system' in same under hood box. Be sure to look at that one too

Ok, that is odd. I took that directly from owners manual, 2010 Corolla. I clicked on your picture and studied it, and am very surprised. But me being surprised doesn't help you

335

I checked # 19 fuse, it was good...it's very frustrating, my friend said it was easier to change the alternator!

335

Yes, that is the 7.5 I checked. My friend said he couldn't get the wire with the nut off, that he thought the entire fuse box would have to comes out

These are fuses in the white, and I read up and it says only the only the type 'A' fuses, the small ones, are 'user serviceable, Contact your Toyota Dealer'. That sucks.

Sorry I was no real help Cherone. I'm stumped. but it wasn't from lack of trying, I promise

Corollas are my specialty Cherone and I am not giving up. I have some contacts on another forum, please check back in, say an hour...this is now a challenge.

335

I appreciate that....apparently he's not sure that it's the alt fuse (I think he assumed it was)...some of the emergency lights are coming on..airbag, emergency brake light, ABS, low tire pressure and elec power steering, also, it will not shift into gear..any help would be appreciated!

I have been everywhere. What I did find is that to remove the 120 amp fuse you have to loosen the mounting bolts on the fuse panel and on the bottom side the fuse is held in by 2 bolts-- 8mm. The shift interlock, why it won't come out of Park, and all the warning lights, may be an indication of more than one fuse blown. They are supposed to be on whenever the key is in 'run' position, to show they work, and the SRS, Supplemental Restraint system which includes more than Air-bags, the seat belts automatically tighten up when air bags deploy. Please don't take offense at this next thing: The cardinal rule before replacing an alternator is disconnect the Neg--Battery cable before doing anything. I even went to my Corolla and the fuse box, aka Junction box looks identical to yours. One guy said wrong alternator. Another said hooked up wrong. Yet another said diode in alternator. Hope you used a Denso, they are specifically designed for your car I am very disappointed in myself, for the record.

335

I don't take offense, he said the same thing! It's too dark outside to do anymore tonight. Will check all the fuses in the morning no the another crack at the 120 amp fuse. He did not use a Denso alternator though, used a Duralast. Thanks for your help, when we figure out what went wrong, I'll post again.

Please do. I am genuinely interested

335

My friend has been looking at all the fuses this morning, nothing so far. Hasn't tried to get the fuse box out to check those fuses yet. In addition to those warning light coming on, the radio, blower motor, defrost, turn signals are not working...you wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram would you?

Ok here we go! These will all size up, and some were thumbnails that I scaled and as much as I could and keep focus

.

.

.

.

.Radio, 6 speaker

.

335

You're awesome...he has been looking these over, hopefully he will figure this out soon!

Cherone1960 Did you ever figure out if the alternator fuse was the problem. I'm dealing with the exact same issue today. My bc never unconnected the battery when changing the thermostat. In order to do so he had to unhook the the alternator wires it sparked and all of the lights u mentioned are lit. All the fuses are good. Now we r trying to get that fuse out which is not an easy task. Do u have any helpful tips?

20

How do I change the big long white fuse?

Mike...something led me bake here after 5 months. Oh,,yeah a helpful click so hope this helps ...click for full screen Don't mess with this mega-fuse until battery is disconnected, Black Neg -- is best

Also Mike

10

hey guys what is the net result of all of your efforts here. I have the same problem now

15

OK I have a question. I have a '10 Corolla S that I disconnected the battery to before starting to change my alternator. Changed the alternator but my son was trying to help so he put the belt on for me. Well he put it on the crank under a lip on I, ,around the ac, up behind idler, then up to the alternator. Which according to all the diagrams looked right. The belt was well seated in place and alternator tightened & adjustment bolt back to original place. Started car & belt shredded,I believe from the lip that he ran the belt under on the crank pulley. I replaced & jumped car. Car will not stay running. The battery is good but is not charging. WHY??? I HATE THIS CAR!!! NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE!! GOING BACK TO HYUNDAI!! My last Hyundai made it almost 400,000 miles!!

40

Which one is the fuel pump relay, cause I'm having a hard time to identify it.

40

I have the exact fuse box as ForNut

10

i have a 2009 toyota matrix, my car cranks for some times and start after numerous trial. this normally happens after moving the car around few meters and parking for a while. have no problem starting it in the mornings.

SRS ecu wiring digram