Fuel Filter

Asked by Jan 14, 2015 at 01:45 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I have a 1972 Super Beetle and I had the Engine re-built, but when they put it back
together, they didn't put the fuel filter back on. Does it have to have it ?

150

Yes, you should have a fuel filter, somewhere. Most people put it between the fuel pump and the carburetor. But some are concerned that this is dangerous due to the proximity to the coil (potential fire hazard.) I have one filter under the fuel tank and another where the fuel line emerges from the tunnel before it goes thru the fire wall. But these are difficult to access. Your choice!