Why is my air filter soaked in oil

10

Asked by Feb 08, 2015 at 04:21 PM about the 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I have a 1974 super beetle with a
recently rebuilt 1641 dual port single
carb engine and I was adjusting the
air filter today and noticed it was
soaked in oil.

65,935

Check the PCV valve and hoses for being clogged. If this checks out ok and you have high mileage you're seeing excessive blow-by from worn engine components. My '70 Catalina with nearly 200,000 miles on it used to do that. HTH. -Jim

10

Jim, I purchased the beetle yesterday and I was told that the engine was just rebuilt so I doubt that it's worn engine parts but I'll be sure to check the pcv

65,935

Ok, good. Be sure those PCV system hoses were hooked up correctly after the rebuild. Misrouted hoses can cause this issue as well. HTH. -Jim