99 gmc jimmy

Asked by Jul 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM about the 1999 GMC Jimmy

So my car began to smoke and the check battery light went on and my car will start but
not move. What could be the cause

247,345

Smoking and battery light sound alternator related to me. Open the hood and check to see if the alternator bearing has seized up or the wiring is burnt.

8,420

cannot engage reverse or drive? wont come out of park position? press brake pedal and that allows this function on yours? that can be a fuse for that actuator on many vehicles. where was smoke noticed? fusebox under the hood or the one in the instrument panel? there could be a cause that fuses only wont fix, best to inspect fully. be ready to disconnect battery power when retrying during smoke test after repair. tests run with a meter and a service manual and schematic are safer than kentucky windage. Harness damage can exist that is hard to see, especially if that harness passes the exhaust and goes down behind the engine.

8,420

wire harnesses that are supposed to have locators and ties can get away and droop or fall onto problem areas with heat historically with these type vehicles. that can be part of your inspection.

8,420

You could find that the harness has to be undone and pulled up, repaired or replaced. getting it up where you're accessible to get access, then feeding it to where it was, then correcting locators, or putting reflective heat wrap can be help after correcting.