I had a loose gas cap. How do I turn of the engine light?

Asked by Nov 26, 2011 at 10:10 PM about the 1999 Ford Contour

My engine light came on after I had apparently been driving with a loose gas cap.
How do I turn it off?

515

All you need to do is secure the gas cap and drive the car. The light will turn off by itself after you drive the car. Be patient. If you rather not wait any repair station can reset the warning light but they usually charge. The gas cap is part of the emission system and the low pressure in the tank set it off. It happened to me and after a few miles the light went off. Good luck.

unhook the battery for 5 -10 min,it will clear the coad out of computer,rember to always turn the cap until it clicks at least 3 times.