I have a 2000 Ford Contour. I ran a few errands yesterday with no issues. I did not hear any changes in how the car starts or how long it takes. I went out to my car today and it does not turn over. All lights/electricity is on, it makes the sound like its trying to turn on, but will not turn. I bought a new battery hoping that was part of it. That is not the issue, left it plugged in over night and did not drain, so it does not appear to be alternator (which was recently replaced) what else could it be? (I am thinking of the starter, but could it be anything else?)

Asked by Aug 10, 2013 at 04:18 PM about the 2000 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan

I ran a few errands yesterday with no issues. I did not hear any changes in how the
car starts or how long it takes. I went out to my car today and it does not turn over. All
lights/electricity is on, it makes the sound like its trying to turn on, but will not turn. I
bought a new battery hoping that was part of it. That is not the issue, left it plugged in
over night and did not drain, so it does not appear to be alternator (which was recently
replaced) what else could it be? (I  am thinking of the starter, but could it be anything
else?)

254,665

Check your fuel pressure. The pump might have given up the ghost. Do you hear it prime/buzz when you turn the key to the on position?

...yes the main ground connection at the end of the 1/0 battery cable is not making a solid connection...this one will WELD itself with every start and quickly becomes contaminated with residue....unbolt it and wirebrush to assure 300 cca can get through~

cashier or in prison?

25,605

It is likely that you have a starter failing. If you're able, you can remove the starter and have it tested at most parts stores. The Alternator has nothing to do with the starting/cranking system except that it keeps the battery up for the next start. Is it possible that the car has or used to have an after-market alarm or starter-interrupt? They're usually installed with butt connectors and clips by uneducated hacks for $8 - $10 a car - in other words: poorly. If the car is an Automatic, try switching to Neutral and cranking the engine. Just some Logical Ideas.