Why can I not find the correct AC Compressor for my 89 olds Cutlass Ciera?

40

Asked by Oct 20, 2014 at 04:16 PM about the 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Doesn't sound it should be such a hard thing to do, but I have contacted multiple parts
places and when I give them the info for my 3.3 Olds Cutlass Ciera, they come up
with the same WRONG part every time. The part I'm getting has four mounting points
and a smaller pulley. The correct part, which I pulled off my car has only three
mounting points (each at 90 degree intervals) and a larger pulley that equals the size
of the clutch plate. Can anyone out there tell me if there's a reason that every single
salvage yard and used parts store is finding the wrong part? And any suggestions for
how I can locate the right part?

66,575

Are you sure that is the original compressor for the car,all it take,s is a different mounting bracket,on that model,and it will throw you into a cycle of distress,the best way to find that same compressor,is the exact part number off of it,it more than likely is a pontiac compressor,but from different year make,and model,

40

Thanks for the reply. The maodel number has been worn clean off the compressor. I guess the road grime broke down and removed the ink, but whatever the reason, the label is slick & shiny ... no number. As far as I know, this is actually the original compressor. The vehicle has been in the family since it was new. It is a Harrison (GM) part. It does say S.A.E. J639 and 0.23kg (8.0 oz), but the model number is gone.

40

Another view of the part I need. Thanks to anyone who can help.

66,575

May be this will help,,,part number ,RMFD-2010551-R,,it is three bolt.

40

That sure looks like it. Now I have a part number to help me in my search. That, sir ... is very helpful. After 3 weeks of trying to find the right part, that is pretty much awesome.

66,575

It is off of a 1986 cutlass,so when you order it,use that year model,and it will solve the issue you are having,someone changed the braket and compressor as i said above,,Good luck,and now you can get that compressor.

12,005

1989 is a split year. 1986 to 1989 1/4 is the 3 bolt. The rest of the year are 4. Glad you have your answer. Make sure you don't blow up this new one and replace the orifice filter tube and receiver dryer.good luck

40

Almost resolved. The parts place is asking if my 86 is a 2-point-something or a 3.8 ... neither of which is true for my car. So, should I tell them I have a 1988 with a 3.3? (does that exist?) Thanks. (getting closer!)

66,575

This may help,autozone has it for 199.00,it is for the 3.8,part number 620250,here is a pic of it.

66,575

I done some research,these car,s only have a with 2.8 or 3.8,,maybe the last 3.8,the 8 has worn and looks like 3.3.