Value of low mileage 93' RT/10

10

Asked by Oct 10, 2015 at 09:30 PM about the 1993 Dodge Viper

An opportunity came up for me to buy a 1993 RT/10. It has 48 miles on it and
it's in pristine condition. Are kbb and edmunds still accurate on the pricing
even with such low mileage? Basically, what would you say is the appropriate  
value for it?

14,165

You mean 48,000 correct?

143,425

48 miles? Is that a typo? A 23 year old car with 48 miles must have been mothballed ... and properly.. or the odo has turned over and is 100,048 or it will need a LOT of work

143,425

Hi Mark. Something is not quite right here

14,165

In very good or better condition, it's worth $18, 173 . And, keep in mind that's a car from Southern California. Your area might be lower. Kelly Blue Book is very accurate. My question is how do you know the mileage is this low and does the car really look like it. Could you please post a picture? Also, this car should have all maintenance records. It's not just mileage, but, time. http://www.kbb.com/dodge/viper/1993-dodge-viper/rt-10-roadster- 2d/?condition=very-good&vehicleid=10232&intent=trade-in- sell&mileage=48000&r=343520721420645700&pricetype=private- party

Best Answer
10

To add some more info, my father came to me about this car looking to get more info on it (he's not tech savvy...) so I did. I'm in the military and am stationed in San Diego, but the car is in Illinois. I'm personally going to see the car when I go back on leave in December to verify the condition of the car, etc... To respond back to your guys' answers: I actually mean't 48 miles. Over the phone, according to the owner, he bought the car, brought it home, gave his two kids a ride in the car and put her in the garage. That's it... Like I said, I'm going to verify the mileage and condition in December.

143,425

WAY cool. That car is worth more in sentimental value (at least it would be to me in that situation) than any dollar figure

14,165

OK, even though it only has reportedly 48 actual miles, which I find really hard to believe, it only raises the blue book value another $3,800 . After so many years, mileage becomes less important than condition. I would definitely like to hear what your field study reveals on this one . Execept for some "musuem cars", I've never heard of a case like this. It's sounds like a fantasy people have and why did this person buy this car in the first place? Just to set it aside hoping it would increase in value? These cars sold for about $50,000 back then. Here's another link to a hint of the car's value, http://www.cars.com/dodge/viper/1993/snapshot

14,165

Also, as I said before, even if the condition matches the 48 miles, you're going to have to be sure that the fluids were all drained and then refilled and the tires changed out, belts, hoses, all that stuff that's rubber gets brittle over time. And, finally, sure the car's cool, but 12 mpg city? Is it that cool?

14,165

Here's an example of real restored musuem cars, http://www.nethercuttcollection.org They have a 1920s Dusenberg that looks like it came right off the showroom floor. Check out their Grand Salon displaying cars in the grandest style. And, every one of them works perfectly. It's one of the finest examples of restored vehicles anywhere.

143,425

Really, Mark. I too am skeptical about that. Somebody that has $50,000 to buy that car in 1993 and never drive it. A 'muscle car; of the 90's Sure, granted there a plenty of people that have more money than they know what to with, but that = $83,000 in 2015. Csendes0894 I am not saying you are fabricating this story but are you just messing with us? The car is worth a fortune

143,425

What is the seller asking?

25

The 1993 Vipers are not worth much. No ac.. Very hot car. You will not be able to drive comfortablely anytime the temp is above 80. No side glass.. A friend of mine has one that has 27,000 miles. He will sell it for 15,000.

14,165

Csendes0894- here's my advice on all this- buy this vehicle ONLY if everything checks out. If this person merely let this car sit around for almost 24 years, they would have had to put some money into it for the items I mentioned, and would have hard reciepts for this, tires, oil change, new belts, antifreeze, etc. Anything that has seals, like the water pump, steering pump, radiator, anything prone to failure from rotting away in time. Do you see where I'm going here? I seriously doubt that they did all of this, and if you don't think time is as much your enemy as excess mileage, you're wrong. The only reason those cars from the Netthercutt Museum are in such fine condition is that they have a full time staff working on them all the time. A lot of their cars are used on movie shoots, parades, and other special events. This car that you're looking at, if the story is to be believed, is that the owner put it in some hermetically sealed glass case for almost 24 years. It's a fantastic story. Did you even consider getting a new or late model car? Why a car that's 23 years old with such horrible mileage? I

10

I appreciate all of the advice in terms of what to look for when I physically visit the owner and the car. I'm belaying all of the info that I received from the owner. If you think I'm trolling and posting this for a laugh, I'm not. The car and mileage (what the owner said over the phone which I'll verify when I see it) are legitimate. This opportunity was brought up to me by my father just a couple of weeks ago and I still have a couple months to get some things straightened out before I see it. I'll keep the post open so I can belay any other information I find out about the car!

14,165

elvisthedog - as a point of information, I found this on Kelly Blue Book showing that air conditioning was an option on the 1993- dodge-viper. I really don't think that this is necessarily a great purchase for someone for the simple fact that the car is 23 plus years, parts may become a problem in the future, it's definitely not a gas saver, and doesn't have modern safety equipment found on today's cars. Here's the picture with the details.