I have a 1993 dodge spirit 4 door automatic it is ideling high and surging. Can anyone please help

Asked by Apr 29, 2010 at 09:11 PM about the 1993 Dodge Spirit

could be your throtle position sensor has gone bad.

10,785

sounds like a bad idle air control valve or a bad TPS

145

Yeah, it sounds like your Idle Air Control Valve went bad. Also try to clean out your Throttle Body. Sometimes that alone will help. You can do that by disconnecting your air intake hose and spraying Carb/Fuel Injector or Throttle Body Cleaner into it. Preferably do this with your vehicle turned off and out of the garage as this will make a plum of smoke sometimes. When you reconnect everything your vehicle may start rough, this is normal. Try again till your vehicle stays on, rev the engine a few times if you must. You can also adjust the position of the Throttle Butterfly to idle higher or lower using the Throttle adjustment screw. I have enclosed a few pics of my 3.0L V6's Throttle Body and also pointed out the Idle Air Control Valves location, the Throttle Butterfly adjustment screw and an example of my almost clean Throttle Body Butterfly.

145

The Idle Air Control Valve is the Black connector on the Bottom

145

This is the Adjustment screw.

145

A look inside the Throttle Body to see the Throttle Body Butterfly.

Thank you for I will try it.The check engine light is on now.What do you think that could be?Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you the pictures will really be helpful.

145

The Check engine light might be on because of that. It's also REALLY easy to check the Check engine light on PRE 1995 Mopars! Without turning on the vehicle; Put the key in the ignition and turn it three times, the third time leave it on the on position. Count the times the Check engine light flashes and separate them by the pauses. The number, "12" is the beginning and the number "55" is the end.

do you want to buy parts?? if so emil me at gayjerald@yahoo.com

55

Check your TPS and also vaccum lines.

See how I fixed same problem with my dodge neon