94 stealth r/t dohc auto. no reverse,shifts hard then reves up

Asked by Jul 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM about the 1994 Dodge Stealth

car sat for 6 yrs. got running drove home and since for last 2 yrs. 134,000 on now.driving alone loss pwr.shifted hard then reves up. took of shift modual w/ key in on positiion and shifted modual manually could hear pump run for a few secs. in all gears but reverse and low.runs all time in low and very faint in revers. changing filter an d fluid this wknd. any other suggestions.

doubt a filter -fluid change will do any good,with no reverse,tranny probly needs a rebuild.as for power a tune up is needed,gas tank probly needs cleaning,new fuel pump,cat converter probly needs replaceing.sitting for 6 years,lucky you got it home.in time it will have several leaks due to dryed out seals,t-stat needs replaceing also.

thanks, I figured this.thought I would still give it a try, 30 bucks for fluid and filter is cheaper and faster. I allready done tune up,brakes,exhaust tires,ect.. got car 2 years ago for a grand and just quit on me. figure i need the experiance on rebuilding tranny. tahnks for fast reply.

3,185

yea and the antifreze , belts and hoses , RADIATOR CAP , if it had any thing but good premium fuel in it while it sat I would remove the tank and have it boiled out . Your tranny sounds like it may have a stuck spool valve , what did the fluid look like when you drained it ? did it smell like a burnt electric motor ? was there anything in the pan ? chunks of clutch material ,wavey pieces of metal , metalic particles ? has anyone borrowed your car lately ? PBN

3,185

come to think of it , I had a torque flight 727 do this goin down the road right after I adjusted the bands . It felt like somebody put on the brakes even when I floored it . I turned around and had no reverse . maybe your tranny went into low and reverse at the same time and spun the guts out of the reverse clutch

3,185

this sounds kinda redneck but ,if tranny is all but f/u you may try a fluid change and use international harvester HY/TRAN fluid instead of whatever it takes . I have seen two additional years of daily service out of a jug of this stuff , and the tranny was junk before I dumped it in !

yea right,car sits that long,even with stabil fuel in the gas tank,it still needs to be cleaned out.