bad shake in rear end

Asked by Aug 06, 2014 at 04:37 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet C/K 1500

ok I have a 89  chevy 1500 ex cab 5 speed man. It was towed about a month for a broken ball joint I just got back in town and got it fixed. I replaced both uppers and lower inner and outer tie rods. and also replaced center bearing and all 3 u-joints in drive line. now I have a bad vib in rear end when goin down the road like  tires or about to fall off everything is tight. any clues of what it could be??????

105,335

Bent or out of balance driveline, bent wheel.

263,885

Agreed, did you mark the orientation of the driveshaft before you removed it? You might be able to rotate the driveshaft one bolt at a time until you no longer get the vibrations.

yes I did so checked the wheels with it in the air and the pass side has a lot of play on the axel . I can move it in and out with no problem. also the yoke at the rear end and the driveshaft has a good bit of play side to side. so do I need to replace the whole rear end or what . im tight on money so the best but the cheapest way what would it be???? its just a work truck to get me to work and back realy but I use it to do other jobs also

105,335

The in and out movement is normal on the axles but the movement on the yoke is not. The cheapest way would be to get a used one from a wrecking yard, just make sure that the ratio is the same or your power and fuel mileage will change plus you will have to change the speedo to match.

ok thanks a lot I will try that

When you replaced the u joints one or more of the bearings may have shifted and fell in the cap when you attempt to knock the u joint into the driveshaft or slip yoke. You may have to take it back off and retry cautiously.