Ignition auxillary position has no power

Asked by Jan 16, 2015 at 10:49 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet C/K 1500

When I turn my ignition key to auxillary position, i get no power.  Help!

If you have power in the run position then it is most likely the ignition switch, if run power is also dead then you have a possible blown fuselink down by the starter.

I just replaced the old ignition switch with this new one thinking it was a bad switch. I do have power on the run position

Ok, So you either have a bad switch even though it is new, or the linkage rod rack or pinion gear is worn enough so it is not pulling the switch up far enough to make contact. Is you steering wheel loose? If so that can also cause your problem.

The rods were good. First manually and installed. Could there be something else I can ck?. Also, tell me more about the steering being loose. Thnx brah

There are small lots that hold the pivot assembly onto the steering column, these bolts work loose over time, the looser they get the more play in the steering wheel side to side and up and down, these bolts need to be tightened up, but to get to them you have to remove the steering wheel and lock plate, then with a small flashlight you can just see the little bolts, some are reverse torx, some are standard torx, and I have seen a few Allen head bolts in there, it can be a frustrating job at first but once you find the right combo of tools it starts to get easier.