e-brake light stays on

35

Asked by Jan 16, 2009 at 05:53 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet C/K 1500

the light that indicates my e-brake is on stays on even when there is no pressure on the e-brake and it is fully relaxed. i dont know how long its been like that or if it just started because the lights in the spot where i keep my lighters
my truck is an 88 chevy silverado short box step side

45

on some cars they use the handbrake light to indercate low brake pad limits, check your pads first....

4,785

To add in addition to checking the brake pads/shoes. When they are worn down enough, that also causes the brake fluid level to drop and causes the brake light to go off on the dashboard.

65

hey about ur light next time u get in it try to pull the pedal up and see if it goes off pull it up with your hand and keep it held up and check if it goes off ur switch is bad

35

tried that lol thats the first thing i thought of

6,915

My 88 and my 89 had this issue, I replaced the brake pedal spring and re-aglined the "brake peadal sensor" and I had to change the brake light socket on the drivers side. All in all, easy stuff to do, most shops will know what to do right away (incase you dont feel comfortable doing the work), This is a common issue.

34,005

its a truck not a lexus so pad wear is a no check your brake fluid level if its ok check the sensor

30

I have the same issue, did you get yours repaird yet? Let me know please :)

65

Its has a normally open switch on it. So if you disconnect the wires from the switch the lights should go out. If its the switch. What kind of radio do you have in it. If it has a dvd player on it most people will plug it in to the e brake wire then ground out the wire to make the radio belive that the ebrake is on. just a thought

860

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-d755_ds481997 check this topic out at the bottom it maybe abs realted